Predicting coat colour of foal?

vhf

Visit site
I spent years (after my degree in genetics and animal behaviour) studying and researching coat colour. It was fascinating and I learned loads.
... I wait and see... !!
tongue.gif

vhf

Visit site
Definitely might be!
Seriously, a grey does make it a little bit easier to predict...

Grey is a "dominant" colour - if the gene for grey is there at all, it will show up in the horse eventually. So you have at least a 50:50 chance of a grey result. If your mare has both grey genes (you can have 0,1 or 2) then the foal will HAVE to inherit a grey gene from her, so will end up grey no matter what colour Dad is. But you can't tell by looking at her!
Black is an odd one - and depends partly on whether it's a "true black" or a really dark bay/brown, because it's possible for two horses who look almost identical to actually have come by their coat colour by different genes.
As your mare is grey, she could be "hiding" all sorts of colours underneath, so you could get quite a surprise.
I think there are over 30 different locations for colour genes in a horse, many of which have 2 or more "options", which is why the colours are so interesting but so tricky to predict unless you know a lot about the breeding, family etc. of each horse you're interested in.

vhf

Visit site
Hmm. Depends a lot on Dad. 50% chance of grey anyway! Again if he's a "double dose" of grey, the foal will have to be grey.
But Mum could be "hiding" chestnut - which has a habit of staying hidden for several generations sometimes as its a true "recessive" coat colour! Grey dad could be hiding chestnut too, and if they both passed on the hidden chestnut, and dad didn't pass on his grey, you'd end up with a chestnut baby. Or he could be hiding bay...

vhf

Visit site
Yup, that's why I reckon it's still almost as good as "Cover her facing east if you dont want a chestnut filly"!
If dad's NEVER had anything but grey foals, and he's had a lot, there's a high chance he will only throw greys, but I wouldn't put money one it. If one of his parents isn't grey, then you know for sure he could have a non-grey baby. In some breeds a "homozygous grey" (double dose) is far more likely than others.

Enfys

Visit site
This colour thing is fun isn't it?

I play about on the Colour calculator quite a lot, but I'm afraid that I don't yet understand the technical stuff, such as agouti or silver carrier!
frown.gif
It used to be so much simpler in the old days when you had bays, greys, chestnuts etc and non of this silver bay, dusty black, dunalino, perlino etc, shades to confuse me
blush.gif
As for coloureds, well! I thought skewbald and piebald was the limit but since I got my paint mare I've just about got my head around all this tobiano/tovero/splash/frame/sabino/overo ad infinitum malarkey.

I was pretty startled when my bay mare (by a grey x bay) threw a palomino to a palomino stallion (history unknown), the percentage of that was pretty low and people seeing the horses out together often presume that the palomino stallion with them (not her sire) is the foals dam.

Enfys

Visit site
Interesting to say the least! I think you would be guessing right up until it arrived.
smile.gif

If I was breeding for colour and tried that combination, with my luck I would get a solid bay!

ClaireT

Visit site
have been trying the calculator, alas there is no 'brown'...wish my horse was one of those fancy colours!!
smirk.gif

Opie, care to hazard a guess as to what I'd get from my solid dark brown mare if I put her to McJonnas????
My OH says please can you make him one with a black coat and white mane & tail
wink.gif

henryhorn

www.narramorehorses.blogspot.com
Our grey mares put to our stallion who is very dark bay almost black have all had grey foals...
They come out light bay colour almost chesnut, but they soon start to show their actual colour round their noses.
I reckon you'll get grey..(dark going whiter later with age)

Damien

Visit site
erm......... well, its simple really, if your mare carries the red gene she could have a palomino, but if she has no red gene which is possible, she may have a buckskin, but then again if she is not homozygous agouti she may produce a smokey black.... so to have a better inclination it's best to test her to see what she is.
I am not sure about the silver part, I do not know why the dark chocolate palomino has a platimum mane and tail... need help from colour gurus on that one... I know he has a silver chrome sheen to him but do not know if that is what they call silver.

PapaFrita

pilar-larcade.com
[ QUOTE ]
I use this-

http://www.horsetesting.com/CCalculator1.asp?Error=1

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't know what 80% of those colours are! Where's plain old dapple grey? I can't find any grey on the list, although there is a tick option separately for grey... I can't just tick that without ticking an option from the list... so which do I pick?
confused.gif

Totally fascinating though!!
smile.gif

ETS: Ok, worked it out (should've read instructions!) What if you don't know what colour a horse is before it went grey?

Damien

Visit site
If you don't know what she is you can have her tested by pulling mane hairs and sending them off to an animal genetics lab the primciple one being the Univeristy of kentucky. its not expensive over here most ise Avian Biotechs who deal with everything but hair is tested in the US
smile.gif

SirenaXVI

s17.photobucket.com
[ QUOTE ]
You might find this of use!

http://www.animalgenetics.us/CCalculator1.asp

basically the foals can be any colour depending on the genes that each parent carries, so bay, chestnut, grey or black are all possibilities....

[/ QUOTE ]

I had my 'grey' mare genetically tested for colour by Animal Genetics as my breed registrar was convinced she was carrying the cream gene because as a foal she was a sort of chocolate dun - she came out homozygous agouti (bay)! Sadly no cream or red genes
frown.gif

Daniel at AG told me that in about six months time they should be able to test for the grey factor.

I may well have my other mares tested (all are grey) just to see what their true colours actually are and whether they carry double grey genes or not. am pretty sure that Lluna is only carrying one grey gene as she has already had a bay non greying foal (from a grey stally), she is currently in foal to a bay so fingers crossed I could get a bay. The tests are not too expensive so worth it I think.

Damien

Visit site
Daniel, really is fab isn't he, always so helpful! Agree it's fun knowing what their colour genetic makeup is.

DanielleP

Visit site
"Our grey mares put to our stallion who is very dark bay almost black have all had grey foals...
They come out light bay colour almost chesnut, but they soon start to show their actual colour round their noses.
I reckon you'll get grey..(dark going whiter later with age) "

Thanks! desperatly want a grey and not a chestnut, as least if it comes out a bit chestnutty i can cross my fingers it will change!

the watcher

Visit site
I was struggling a bit with working out which colours to put in, my mouse dun mare (her dam started dun but turned grey, the stallion was dun) is going to be crossed with a chestnut..I am assuming I might get something with more red, but still with the dun markings, it will be interesting waiting to see what comes out and what the final colour is.