Pregnancy Tests...

rach1984horse

Visit site
This may be a stupid question, and don't want anyone to laugh at the image of me chasing mares round the field till they pee on a stick. But do you get pee on a stick pregnancy tests for horses. Someone has sudggested to me that a people one may work on a horse. Have my doubts. Oppinions?

GTs

Visit site
There is no pee on a stick test that I know of - we do transrectal ultrasounds, and look for a little black dot........

Many competition horses will pee on command - you need it for drug tests.

I doubt a human one would work, as I believe it tests hormone levels, and I would not imagine horses levels are the same as peoples! Also if it was that easy, it would be common knowledge.

judymoon

Visit site
a simplle blood test can be done to measure progesterone levels, this is probably cheaper than an ultrasound and safer if your mare is not used to rectal palpation but obviously less definative than seeing an image of a pregnancy.
also after approx 60 days fom breeding if pregnant a vet should be able to feel the pregnancy from manual palpation

juliehannah58

Visit site
Oh I saw some advertise last year! In a magazine, they were quite expensive but definitely marketed as a test you could do on your mare yourself. Think it was £50 each or 3 for £120 or something like that....I'll wrack my brains!
smile.gif

I doubt a human one would work, otherwise everyone would be doing it!
smile.gif

dunc_n_toby

Visit site
Well my mare's gone off to stud - my first attempt to breed so have done loads of research into this, I'm not aware of a pee test being avaliable. Blood tests are the cheapest but cannot be 100%, scan's are the most commonly used.

SillyMare

Visit site
My mare is supposed to be in foal - last scan was 28 days and next one not till the end of September.

Would love to be able to do a non-invasive and not too expensive interim test. Just curiosity really as she is off work for the year either way.

Think If I could do a pee on a stick test for her I would end up doing it once a week!!

Now there is a marketing opportunity if anyone works for that sort of company....