Pregnant & horses and afterwards

Judie

Visit site
Just had a conversation with my non-horsie friend who doesn't believe that you can carry on with riding & competing once having a baby, even with the most supportive partner at your fingertips. Is this true, how have other people managed when they have a horse, did you carry on riding & competing, can you juggle said horse and part-time work and still be a good mum?

the watcher

Visit site
You can, but expect not to do much housework - something has to go!

I went back to full time work, but still rode and went to shows, baby came too. I just had to take a friend to mind the baby. I did kind of cheat though, I had an au pair, I couldn't have done it any other way

Cobland

Visit site
Im 24 weeks pregnant with my first, im still riding my sensible ones and im no longer jumping. Midwife told me to keep with it if im comfortable as it will help me stay fit for the birth.

I might do the winter league next year, give myself time with bubba and get Mae into shape again, though im thinking of putting her back into foal again.

Daisychain

Visit site
Yes you can manage, it is difficult, i have 2 boys aged 10 and 3, i have been quite lucky in the fact my husband and mother/inlaw will have them, but i dont tend to go to shows which last all day, still just juggle my time, i would like to think i am a good mum too! I didnt get much oportunity to compete etc when i was a child, so i am trying to compensate now, before im to old! im 35.

buddly

Visit site
hi
i had my first child a year ago and manage to work at the yard am (she goes to the childminder for the morning) have also managed to compete ,as has been said you need to take someone to look after child but my daughter has been to most comps with me and my partner is very supportive combining child duties with the odd bit of grooming!! i think it is definately do able you just need to think it through a bit more than u would without a child!!
i find my daughter is very well behaved at events as there is so much going on it keeps them occupied
smile.gif

TGM

Visit site
Depends totally upon your circumstances - it is definitely possible if you have the back-up and support! However, you may find that your priorities change when you have had a child - the competitive urge often fades away.

hadfos

Visit site
I did struggle as i had my horse on diy,hubby worked shifts and little boy was an absolute nightmare(screaming all the time)so didnt like to leave him too long with anybody,including dad,lmao,who i may add is very supportive,i just felt guilty
blush.gif

However moved him onto full livery and it worked a treat,only had to worry about the riding,so didnt have to leave baby for very long!!Now he is 5 i have gone back to diy as he is old enough to help out with certain things and he loves it!!
It is hard but can be done!I never competed though,couldnt have,not enough hours in the day!!

mangobiscuit

Visit site
Totally depends on how much support you have around you.....and hate to say it, it's a bit easier to manage if you're in a good financial situation.

Fact of the matter is, horses are expensive and time consuming enough without kids - and then all of a sudden you have another expensive and time consuming responsibility!!
grin.gif
(Everything takes 10times longer with kids....you can't just dash out of the house anymore!!)

But seriously, no doubt it's all doable but depends on your circumstances I guess
smile.gif

x

katiex2

Visit site
I had twin girls - rode till I got too big for my poor mare. I was back in the saddle two weeks after a C-section - naughty I know - and competed her about 8 weeks later. The baby part is easy - you can sneak rides in when they are asleep in the buggy. Many an afternoon I was found riding my horse in the school with my girls asleep in their buggy next to the school. It is difficult now as the girls are three and into everything so I have to ride in the evening when they have gone to bed. Also my mare passed away unexpectedly and I now have a project who needs much more work. My husband is very supportive but I have still managed to keep my horse on DIY livery and work part time. I have come to the conclusion that there really isn't enough time in the day!!!!

Cobland

Visit site
Ive 10 horses and due on 5th March, i know im going to have to sell some, ive put Gypsy up for loan. Got 2 young ones that i can put into the field to enjoy their younger years, then there is the 2 that are semi retired and my friend rides them, so really ive only got Mae to worry about.

OH has taken over riding her when i feel sick. Yesterday i pulled a muscle on my stomach so not riding for a while. That might be me until after baby is born! I really hope not!

Mae is only 4, dont want to put too much weight on her.

murphyboywoody

Visit site
I managed but like it was mentioned above i had lots of support. OH is brilliant and my parents and inlaws have helped with babysitting duties when it comes to competing etc. It still is a bit of a juggling act but it def is possible!!
smile.gif

Jo C

Visit site
I do, I work full time, have horse on DIY, have a 3 year old daughter and compete at BD (well when horse is sound) and have done since daughter was born. Yes I am completely insane but it is possible!
grin.gif
Just don't expect to have a clean house ever!

louisewatcham

Visit site
Yes you can if you have support from OH and anybody else you can rope in. In fact as OP mentioned it is actually easier when they are babies as you can muck out/school etc with them asleep in their pushchair or car seat. I also poo picked with my son in a baby sling but he did get a bit heavy for that after a while..

I agree - definitely no time for housework!

Twiglet

Visit site
My friend is really struggling with baby and horse at the moment.......she's gone back to work 4 days a week and is finding it increasingly difficult to fit everything in, so it looks like the horse may have to go
frown.gif

jelibean

Visit site
I had my son nearly two years ago and still trying to find the time to squeeze in riding as much as id like to. My OH has his own business and is mostly tied up with that so have to rely on inlaws and mum to babysit for me. I had 2 of my long term horses and 5 project horses when i fell pregnant and feared nothing. Since having my son my confidence has took a real battering. Nothing has happened to cause this and i wouldnt say i have lost my confidence but i always have second thoughts about everything i do when riding now. Its amazing how much a child will alter your life, i have turned from crash test dummy to happy hacker.

kick_On

Visit site
er yes i know folk still hunting at 8months pregant! and people within days of giving birth riding!

i think it down to the indivdual body
grin.gif
and some folk can do amazing things

me i would be a wimp!
grin.gif