Pregnant mare showing in season?

milliepup

Visit site
I have a mare that is approx 60 days in foal but over the last week became quite vocal then today I walked another mare past her in the field and she squatted right down and squirted everywhere! I am sure I have read somewhere that some mares can show in season but is this normal and maybe just something to do with hormones? This is the first time this has happened as up until now she has behaved normally and not shown any seasons.

Damien

Visit site
Mares do and can show signs of being seasonal, sometimes they will wink after peeing, sometimes they squirt in temper around around mares.
Howver if she is persistantly showing signs of being in season over a period of days then appears to come out as she would a normal season I would be wanting to have another scan done to be on the safe side. We had a pd done on two mares at 45 days last year that did not foal this year.

Maesfen

Extremely Old Nag!
photobucket.com
As Rollestone says, if you're worried, have another scan done, it depends if it is normal behaviour for this mare, they are all so different.
Although all the mares here have been scanned at 42 days or even longer in Twiggy's case, we'll be getting them all scanned again in October/November just to be sure for management purposes as Rollestone says. Even so, at least 2 of the mares will winter out (none of mine due til May) but Bea is a sensitive soul and would not take kindly to being kept out full time, unlike the other two hooligans; the wilder the better for that pair!

MissIndependance

www.sarahboximages.co.uk
Yes mine all winter out regardless - but Iif I know whether or not they're definitely in foal then I know if I need to start feeding them in the last 3 months or not...

Mind you you can't always be sure... We had one mare who was looking small for her dates in December-ish so I got the vet out and she did a blood test which said she wasn't in foal... Her due date loomed and she was enormous, got the same vet out and asked her when she thought "the black mare over there was due" and she said, "very soon by the looks of it"... I then said it was the one she had said wasn't pregnant! A month later she foaled a healthy filly!!

christine48

Visit site
Every year i have the same doubts with my mare. She is very vocal, roars at other mares, winks etc. i am never convinced she's still in foal until the October scan.

Anastasia

www.morayfirthstud.co.uk
We have had a couple of mares like this and both were in foal. One year, one of the mares keep on squirting on seeing the stallion........that summer we had around 6 scans done as we kept on thinking she was not in foal!! Needless to say we now expect this of her when she is in foal now........although we do still check...
smirk.gif

milliepup

Visit site
I'm going to have her scanned again tomorrow just to be sure as today the weather is slightly cooler and she is not squirting as such but still very vocal. I'll be keeping my fingers crossed and let you know.