pregnant mare

lilvik950

New User
Visit site
Hi, Im new to the forum, just wanted to post a thread asking for any advice on pregnant mares.
I've just bought a 13.2hh 6 year old coloured mare who is due to foal on april 10th. I've never had a pregnant mare before so I'm looking for as much information as possible regarding how I should be keeping her (in, out, combination of the two??), what i should be feeding her (hay, grass, what sort of hard feed?? Chaff, mix, barley???? HELP!!!), should she be in any sort of work and if its ok to work her, what should she be doing, just gentle walking hacks? Worming routine? Vaccinations? There's so much to find out! She arrives over the weekend so frantic information gathering going on!

bettens

Hi Vikky

Congrats. Best advice is to get a couple of books - I really like Modern Horse Breeding and Foal to Full Grown - will post ISBN numbers when I get home. These are fab and straight forward.

Our mares live out 24 7 well rugged over winter and have hay and one feed per day of course mix. All were 'well up' by the end of winter.

We usually foal indoors and start bringing mare in approx 2 weeks before due date. Happy for you to email if you want specifics answered bettens@millstones.fsnet.co.uk

It is a fab experience
Rach

edited to add - consult with vet to check her progress, jabs about a month before foaling etc