Prelim 17 & 19 tests

chestnut cob

community.webshots.com
I'm planning to do my first 'proper' BD next weekend. We've done a few MyQuest comps & done well so I wanted to have a go at a non MQ comp. All that anyone seems to have on for the next couple of months are P17 & P19. I have never done long arena tests!!

I'm going to a hire a long arena with the extra markers one night this week to practice, as school at the yard is only 40m. Any tips for learning them? I'm trying to find a friend who'll call for me as I'm pretty rubbish at remembering tests at the best of times. Am I mad to be attempting both?! I really need to do two tests at this particular venue as horse can be v spooky there.

Tell me it wont be so bad?! 😉

ponydi

Visit site
Make sure you have the positions of the markers clear in your head, and find a caller who you can hear well - it's amazing how similar E, B, V, C and P can sound!

ihatework

Visit site
The long arena tests are MUCH nicer to ride.
I never learn markers when I ride anyway, I just learn by orientation within the arena.

ossy

Visit site
I like long arena tests better too although the first one I did I did feel the centre line went on forever lol. I don't remember by letter either I learn them by pattern and location in arena.

Wishful

Visit site
P17 is really nice to ride. Very symmetrical with no around the arena time - the only thing that's awkward to simulate in a 20x40 is the exact location of the circles at the extra letters. P19 is circles in the middle and 15m circles in trot but again nicer to ride than the cicles in the middle 20x40 test as there's less "empty" cantering or trotting around the arena.

For the learning I do a mixture of drawing the moves on paper, rewriting in my own words and putting letters around our living room rug and "riding" the test...

chestnut cob

community.webshots.com
Thanks everyone. My v kind YO is letting me mark out a 20x60m arena in one of her spare fields so I can practice this week. I wouldn't be nervous if I was going to my usual favourite venue but I don't find this venue particularly friendly so not sure I've much hope of maybe finding a last minute caller!

I have watched vids online a couple of times but really need to do it with a test diagram in front if me as I don't know the extra letters properly. I also learn by pattern too but have been known to have the odd memory failure!!

leflynn

Visit site
Just remember you have more time and space in a long arena test! I always remember the tests by 'the first letter you don't know' etc rather than the letters as I don't do them often enough :eek:

eggs

Visit site
I much prefer the long arena tests and like you only have a 20x40 arena. I find it easier to learn the pattern of the test rather than learning it by marker letter if that makes sense. As an example I would learn something like 'change the rein in trot along the short diagonal from new marker to new marker' or 'canter a 20m m circle at E and then trot at new marker'