Prelim 18 on Sunday - CC welcome

black_n_white

Visit site
We did Prelim 18 at Bury Farm on Sunday.

My boy has just turned 5 and we've not been out to dressage since February. I have made an effort to be more disciplined with my schooling since then so I could feel/ see the improvement since last time (especially as we don't get to ride in an arena very often). He felt much more balanced and his transitions were much better.

He warmed up nicely in the outdoor arena but the test was ridden inside and he was neighing and shouting for his friends at first so we were marked down for him being inattentive and tense through his back.

He is generally a laid back chap but doesn't like being on his own. Although he does hack out absolutley fine by himself but if we pass other horses he will neigh at them but isn't nappy or spooky. He won't stand in the horsebox by himself and gets stressed and fence walks if he's the first one out in the field.

The prof pics are in a random order for some reason.

There are 3 pics after this one (ignore the random grey horse in the middle: http://www.sbmphotographic.co.uk/photo2561349.html#photo
and then 2 more after: http://www.sbmphotographic.co.uk/photo2561507.html#photo

Critique us please what can we do to improve? Any help and suggestions are much appreciated - I really want to get better!

Sorry for the essay - have a Tuesday afternoon glass of Pimms for getting this far!

Thunderbirds R Gone

Visit site
What a lovely horse - how did you do?

I think you need to drop your weight down your leg a bit more, you look like you are gripping with your knee a bit - maybe ride a bit longer? Apart from that, a lovely picture
laugh.gif

black_n_white

Visit site
Thanks! We got 61% which I was pleased with but we have got lots to work on!

I agree about my lower leg - damn heels just don't wanna stay down! I am working on it and will hopefully be able to post pictures in a few weeks to show the improvement!
grin.gif

black_n_white

Visit site
Heh heh! Yeah I know you're right about no stirrups and I have done a bit but I just conscious of bouncing about on his back as he's only 5! I think I'll have to see if I can borrow a friend's horse for a few sessions.

Following another post about my lack of stability in my XC position I've been practicing riding in a 1/2 seat out hacking and really trying to get my weight down into my heels and instead of doing regular rising trot rising for 2 beats to try and improve my balance. Any other exercise suggestions welcome as I have noticed a bit of an improvement in my balance.