Premier Equine Rug Experiences

1Lucie

Visit site
I have posted before about my rug wrecker of a horse. He greeted me again today with yet another rip to his rug and stuffing hanging out of it!! His 1200D Amigo is now on its last legs after 2months use! His Derby House heavy sporting a large tear and needing new chest clips after 3 days wear!

A few friends have recommended Premier Equine 1680d rugs. Are these worth the money? How do they bare up with rug destroyers?

welshcobmad

Visit site
I was just about to ask the same question I've just been looking at they're 450g combo as I need something heavier.

Otherwise I have a 1680D Weatherbeeta TAKA my rug wrecker has yet to destroy its on its 2nd winter with only a small nick so far - all his others are torn!

Dovorian

Visit site
I have used only PE rugs for a few years now - ALL have been super with one exception, the 70g t/o rugs which just fell apart...

i have 3 horses which have all PE rugs, no complaints tbh

1Lucie

Visit site
Ha ha nice to know im not the only one with a rug destroyer. I walk down the field everyday with one eye shut, praying for no more holes lol.

I will have a look at them too.

Can anyone tell me if premier equine rugs go any cheaper? As it states 'sale' at the moment but sometimes i now this can just be advertising!

James6

Visit site
Agree with Dovarian, the 1680D has been brilliant, no rips at all in mine and she even managed to tear her hugely expensive Rambo Duo before i bought the PE!

James6

Visit site
Ha ha nice to know im not the only one with a rug destroyer. I walk down the field everyday with one eye shut, praying for no more holes lol.

I will have a look at them too.

Can anyone tell me if premier equine rugs go any cheaper? As it states 'sale' at the moment but sometimes i now this can just be advertising!

The sale looks really good; if I needed another, I would get one as they have all sizes at the moment. I think the Winterbuster is reduced by £50 which is a bargain for a top quality rug :)

becca1305

Visit site
I have the buster trio which is fab. They say their strongest material is the 1680D ballistic nylon outer so read the blurb carefully if you want the strongest as not all their rugs are made from this some are made from just 1680D nylon. but it does depend what rug weight you want as to whether you get a choice or not! just thought I would point it out as whilst Im sure the 1680D would be more than adequate usually, would bet the ballistic outer would be the best for a rug ripper! :)

Archiepoo

Visit site
The PE rugs do go on sale should be soon-went down to half price ! i found they did have rubbish clips which broke really quickly, and they dont self right which i found really annoying!:mad:

1Lucie

Visit site
I have the buster trio which is fab. They say their strongest material is the 1680D ballistic nylon outer so read the blurb carefully if you want the strongest as not all their rugs are made from this some are made from just 1680D nylon. but it does depend what rug weight you want as to whether you get a choice or not! just thought I would point it out as whilst Im sure the 1680D would be more than adequate usually, would bet the ballistic outer would be the best for a rug ripper! :)

Ah thanks, i didnt realise this. The stronger the better!

becca1305

Visit site
some PE rugs are already on sale (started boxing day) and tbh rugs going fast! really? I'm surprised Ive tried many brands of rugs and these are my fave :) I find the clips easy and good quality and it self rights brilliantly on my roly poly fanatic mare with or without liners in. Perhaps it depends on the shape of the horse or whether they do the post rolling shake when they get up or not? lol.

sandi_84

Visit site
I was impressed with my weatherbeeta genero combo 600d today, walked past a grumpy horse in the yard and she tried to take a chunk out of my boy's bum, she actually got quite a good mouthfull of rug and it didn't tear ha ha! Also proud that he didn't freak out and try to run away or kick out coz at the mo there is only a small walkway (building going on) and I was slightly in front of him... bad me! :rolleyes:

kal40

Visit site
I use PE rugs all the time and love them. I have the trio t/o and the 300g t/o. The trio is great for my cob as I can change liners if he gets too warm. They are quite deep too so keep him really clean.

IMO this sale isn't as good as others in the past. I bought my trio for about £100 (everything in) and my 300g for £56.

My only problem with the 300g is that it rubs his mane where the neck cover joins the rug but that could just be his shape.

Visit site
I have a couple of PE rugs which I only got as they delivered quickly and had the sizes I wanted. I HATE the clips on them. I hate clips on rugs! And as my TB was going to be living out in it all winter I just covered over all the clips with duct tape so he couldn't attach himself to a fence.

chestnut cob

community.webshots.com
I bought a PE second hand from Ebay in the summer, 70g with detachable neck. The seller said she'd only used it a couple of times as it didn't fit. It looked pretty new and she said she'd had it washed and reproofed...

It leaks! Nearly every time it rains, that rug leaks and I have now resorted to putting my no fill Amigo (1200D I think?) underneath it so that at least it only leaks onto another (waterproof!) turnout.

I love the rug itself as it fits my big horse and it really deep, so not like a mini skirt on him, but have been less than impressed with the waterproof-ness. However, I don't know if this is to do with the way it was treated by the person I bought it from.. that said, it looked nearly new and even if it has been washed/reproofed, I'd have expected it to last longer than it has. Every single seam leaks, and they really do leak, not just a bit, and the neck cover is falling to bits already (my horse isn't a rug wrecker). I'm not sure I would buy another PE as they aren't cheap - will probably stick with Horseware, JHL and/or Fal in future.

marmalade76

Visit site
I bought a PE second hand from Ebay in the summer, 70g with detachable neck. The seller said she'd only used it a couple of times as it didn't fit. It looked pretty new and she said she'd had it washed and reproofed...

It leaks! Nearly every time it rains, that rug leaks and I have now resorted to putting my no fill Amigo (1200D I think?) underneath it so that at least it only leaks onto another (waterproof!) turnout.

IIRC, the 70g rugs weren't made of ballistic nylon. IME the ballistic ones never leak, all other materials do eventually.

Kat

Visit site
I've got a PE winterbuster 300g with the detatchable neck and my mare has worn it every day since I bought it. I'm dead chuffed with it, fits really well and seems to keep her nice and dry underneath. I have a heavier one too but haven't needed it yet. I'm keeping an eye out for any of their other rugs going on sale as I am very pleased with them.

cronkmooar

Visit site
I got the trio, so ballistic outer, after all the rave reviews on here.

It was returned within 2 weeks as it leaked through every seam.

Wasn't best chuffed at their attempts to make me buy another before returning the faulty one - or how they state their rugs never leak (strangely enough mine did you could see all the watermarks inside!) and there seem to be quite a few complaints about this now.

Being fair to them they did refund my money within hours of receiving the rug back - they could hardly deny it leaked, but I would not have another.

They are also very heavy when dry and a pain in the rear when wet when you have a big horse.

Twiglet

Visit site
Anyone else find they come up very big? I bought one discounted at Olympia, and went for a 6'6" (horse is normally 6'9") as it looked roomy....it's still enormous on him.

No rips as yet but the weather's been too bloody mild for him to wear it!

jenni999

Visit site
My horse is a true 6ft 6 and I changed from a Rambo Optimo (slipped horribly even with shorter belly straps) to the PE Trio red turnout with all the liners and 2 hoods etc. I bought a 6ft 6 praying it wouldn't be too big fit and it wasn't !!!

My only slight bug bear is that I have to use a lycra vest underneath as it rubs his mane a bit where the rug joins the hood.

Apart from that I love it, it doesn't slip at all and is easier to do up and take off than the Optimo. Seems to keep my horse warmer as well without having to use the heaviest liner, must be as its the ballistic nylon outer.

acw295

Visit site
I've got 4 t/outs LOVE them! Some are in to their 4th winter and doing brilliantly with no damage at all, but then I don't have a rug wrecker.

They fit my chunky Welsh D mare perfectly, don't rub or slip and never had any issues with leaking. I hate rugs with buckles and leg straps so love the clips and they are self righting on my mare (who loves to roll and lives out for a good chunk of the year)

I've got the 40g, 200x, 300x, 450 Winterbuster and use them inside and out. Also have a fleece and a stable rug (although rarely use that).

They are deep - which is why I got them, most other makes are too tight on the shoulder and/or too shallow.

I've got all mine in the sale too - but agree the reductions not quite as good this year, but I can't see me needing any replacements for a while yet (which is good and bad depending on which way you look at it!)