Preparing for winter?

Wheels

Visit site
It's only just getting dark at 9pm here, I won't start panicking until the end of September. Having said that, rugs are all ready to go and I've found a new hay supplier who is happy to deliver, that will be a godsend rather than having to go out every couple of weeks and fit what I can into my trailer, he can deliver more at a time

I would also like to get my driveway to the yard re-stoned before it gets too wet

I'm hoping to still be working at home for at least part of the winter which should help me a little as well!

Dyllymoo

Visit site
I've bought a headtorch so that's ready to go, I've sorted my store behind my stable to make sure everything has a place so it will be easy in the dark mornings/ evenings.

I am due to buy some rechargeable stable lights that I can put up from Amazon when I get paid on Monday.

I've got new wellies as the past few years I have ruined my boots by being in mud constantly.

I'm going to treat myself to a new waterproof hi vis coat (my last one was gifted by my OH as it was a work one that didn't fit him, its 6 years old and I found the exact same one for £20 on ebay so I'm very excited!).

I need to get his rug done, but I don't know if I should wash and reproof it at a laundry place or try and do it as I have a pressure washer at home.... thoughts?

ownedbyaconnie

Visit site
This will be a different winter for me in that I will most likely still be working from home for the majority of it and most certainly not going into the office 5 days a week. So I am looking forward to not getting to the yard at 6am or mucking out in a pencil skirt.

Usually I would be sending rugs off to be reproofed and cleaned about now but they are currently still in the bags they were dropped off in after being cleaned last summer due to pony wintering rugless. Will be doing the same this year although now she has a decent sharer and I am working from home I may do a small clip this year, will wait and see. Last winter didn't really get cold cold until Jan anyway! Other than that I will be stocking up on primark fleece lined leggings, they're an absolute life saver. Will also need to do my deep litter full muck out when she swaps back to day turn out late sept/early oct. Already dreading it but it's a good calorie burner!

The Fuzzy Furry

Getting old disgracefully
Visit site
Pitch dark here last night by 8.45.
Hay in, bedding in, hedging done and a couple of dozen posts in.
Rugs sorted and ready to go (done by end May)

Need to:
Get in 2 hefty posts for mini gates.
Clear ditch (usually I do end Oct)
Keep up with gutter clearance as filling daily with acorns.....

SpotsandBays

Visit site
I absolutely need to get some new wellies as my old hunters have officially died a death. Also a decent yard coat that’s warm and really waterproof. Any recommendations?

southerncomfort

Visit site
Hay shed is full.

Enough straw bedding for one pony. Just need to get shavings in for the mini, who will happily eat a straw bed. ?

Have ordered a new rug for the 20 year old who doesn't tolerate inclement weather as well as she used to.

Also ordered a new winter coat for me as I broke the zip on my last one.

We are putting up extra guttering around the stables this weekend as water is leaking in to one of the stables.

Then it's my least favourite job of clearing out all the drains in and around the yard.

MuddyMonster

Visit site
As I moved to part/full livery earlier this year I'm so hoping this winter wont be as grim as last year when I was on DIY with very limited assistance, very few facilities and commuting to the office.

Working from home is now permanent for me and they introducing flexi time so I should be able to start late a few mornings and ride in morning daylight, which will be a complete luxury.

A turn out new rug was bought earlier this summer and his other lightweight and cooler have been washed/re- waterproofed in the Spring.

Head torch just needs a new battery.

YO is going to clip him for me when he needs it.

I just need to organise a warm and waterproof high viz riding coat to fit over my body protector as my ancient Rockfish Rider finally gave up the ghost last year. I'm debating saving some ££ and buying a workman type one rather than a horsey brand.

I might need some new wellintons as mine are wearing away the lining on the heel but might get away with thicker socks or boot liners.

Last edited:

Buster2020

Visit site
It pretty much pitch dark at 8 o’clock and it getting colder as well. The temperature has dropped a lot in the last few days . I have to collect my washed rugs and I need to get a new coat for myself. I am on a full livery now ( without the riding) so hopefully winter is going to be a lot easier this year.

meleeka

Visit site
I’m woefully unprepared if this is the start of winter. I need to get the paving slabs in my yard relayed with concrete and I can’t do that if it’s been raining because it’s a lake :(. I also need to paint the inside and outside of the stables. The insides are so dark now so definitely need going. I also need to get a tonne of something In the shelter as that flooded last year because there’s a puddle behind. I could have done all these things while on lockdown if I had been able to buy the materials.

poiuytrewq

Visit site
Yay for this thread coming up again, a real sign winter is on its way ?
So, last year my main preparation was to buy a snow shovel so I could dig my barrows to the muck heap. A major mistake I made the year before was not to dig (no shovel) and instead create a lethal ice path. It didn’t snow...
Working on that theory I’m going to spend a fortune on waterproofs and umbrellas in the hope it’s a waste ?

Fransurrey

Visit site
Seeing this thread makes me realise I'm prepared! YO did me a roundabout favour by putting hay price up, so I've bought a year's worth of haylage on summer offer (it is this year's crop!) which is delivered this weekend. I washed and proofed all rugs during the first heat wave. Just need to get a few bags of Agrobs to beat the price hikes that always happen in Autumn. Still have an unused set of clipper blades, so they'll be ok until January. I plan to clip coblet this weekend (he needs clipping all year round. Only other thing on my list is to buy another slow feeder.

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
Our project to have a former hen house turned into a field shelter is well underway, although the weather has interrupted progress now, for a few days, the mudcontrol mats have been delivered and we have a new 'paddock vac' to keep the lot clean. The plan is for the horses to live out this winter in all but the worst weather.

Mule

Visit site
Our project to have a former hen house turned into a field shelter is well underway, although the weather has interrupted progress now, for a few days, the mudcontrol mats have been delivered and we have a new 'paddock vac' to keep the lot clean. The plan is for the horses to live out this winter in all but the worst weather.
Sounds like a good idea.

dorsetladette

Visit site
I've sorted hay. Muck spreading organised (fingers crossed) for October. All the shelters, chicken house, sheep house etc have had a coat of stain and roofs checked.
Rugs need organising and then a few things get taken home for the winter in order to keep clean and safe.
I need to treat myself to a new set of waterproofs and a head torch. The lorry needs moving to give us more space in the yard and less likely to sink crossing the field.

My livery is leaving soon, so once she has left I will have to either ind a new one or work out if I need the extra cash every month. I feel like I'm waiting for her to go to start preparing for winter, I can't rest any ground as the mare goes through all the fencing.

Abby-Lou

Visit site
Barn & stables washed down and straw stacked last weekend, need to paint ramp on trailer and creosote muck trailer and paint gate yard gate posts

Shilasdair

Patting her thylacine
Visit site
I got a bit of a shock when I saw this thread was resurrected - but yes, it is feeling a bit autumnal here today.

I need to buy shavings, hay, everything. My Mum's death/sorting out her affairs has taken up a lot of my time so I'm woefully behind.

And I do need new coats, socks...

Berpisc

Visit site
Not able to prepare much this winter so far as everything home wise is a bit upside down. We do have loads of grass though and a reliable supply of hay when I know what I am doing storage wise. Mine live out though so more simple to manage. Rugs are tuned up ready to go.
Still make me feel uneasy not having some hay stashed away though.

Slightlyconfused

Go away, I'm reading
Visit site
The new rugs needed have been ordered and put away ready, the boys both have 6 days worth of feed buckets for me to make up on the sunday and I only need to buy another three/four hay nets for the same. One of them needs a hay bar so that will be ordered in the next few weeks/month.

I need new wellies, so that is on the list. I think that is it. Not sure if we are still going to be working from home by then.