Preparing for winter?

Sasana Skye

Visit site
Get all the crying out of the way by the end of autumn so that when winter arrives there are no tears left. Winner!

Luckily I don't have to do much, farmer makes his own hay and haylage and brings it over as and when we need it and does a straw drop every Monday so no need to stock up. Stables are cleared at the end of Spring at the same time as the clippers are sent off for a service. Winter preparation for me is more mental prep than anything.

We have a hardstanding turnout pen which is great for when the fields are too wet to turn out on, so the horses get time out everyday if not on the fields.

Leo Walker

Visit site
I'm trying to be organised this year. I have brought my winter rug home to be washed and repaired, and I'm clipping a friends horse then all my blades are off to be sharpened. I clip all year so thats not a winter thing really. The joy of livery is everything else is done for me. All I need to do is get the pony mega fit so when the weather is awful I can scale the work right back and still have her fit enough to compete every other weekend

southerncomfort

Visit site
Well I've grown grass in the winter field, does that count??

I will admit to having cleaned the stables and rubber matting but new beds went straight down due to rubbish weather this weekend.

Rugs were hardly used last year and are still in good shape so no need to get them cleaned this year.

We only have enough storage for 3 round bales so we don't stock up but our lovely farmer is only 5 mins away and is happy to replenish as and when so no need to pre order.

I absolutely hate Winter. I hate the darkness. I hate the winter storms and gale force wind. And I absolutely hate snow. ☹

NinjaPony

Visit site
I’m putting my two on DIY for the first time next winter and am apprehensive to say the least... so far I’ve got all my rugs cleaned and clippers sharpened!
Currently making a list of things I need- including waterproof trousers, the joys!

J&S

Visit site
Due to the fact that our stables and yard are going to be used as a wedding Venue (!) this week end, we have had a major luxury installed - electricity- Woweee! This also means the actual stables will get a good wash out as being used to house food/drinks. Hay bought as wedding couple want to use some as seating (hope they stay intact and not too prickly on the legs). Ponies are on a track around 2 acres so a fair sized paddock of grass growing for winter strip grazing in the centre. One rug gone to have its really poor class buckles and clips changed otherwise the rest seem quite usable as they didn't get too much of a battering last year. Hoping to keep my elderly body in good enough shape to be able to muck out for another winter and have enough energy left to ride too!

Keith_Beef

Novice equestrian, accomplished equichetrian
Visit site
I live in an enormous sandpit; mud and standing water are not a great problem.

I prefer cool or cold weather to the ridiculously hot 30°C to 40°C we've been getting here.

Winter preparation for me is to re-wax my Barbour jackets... that's a bit of a pain. And maybe buy a few new pairs of socks and kecks. And make sure I know where the head torch and the 18650 rechargeable batteries are.

Abby-Lou

Visit site
Barn walls scrubbed & wood re-varnished, muck trailer cresorted, ramp repainted, still got some fencing to do, you will blink and winter will be here

bubsqueaks

Visit site
Yep Ive started getting ready for winter - couldnt stand the 2 out 24/7 standing in all the mud by gateways so Ive just bought some second hand interlocking mats as they need to be bedded in & seeded.
Ive also just bought 3 bale size trickle nets ready to free up more time - they were in the sale with £20.00 off.
It really is beneficial to be thinking ahead as you can get some good bargains.

windand rain

Visit site
Hay is in and stacked a good amount of foggage is growing well and the ponies are almost optimum weight for losing a load over winter. youngster is backed and ridden away but will be kept ticking over in winter as the kids can only ride at weekends as no lights. Prep is msotly done but the old boy needs to gain a bit of weight to survive winter as he does drop a bit.

scats

Visit site
If it didn’t go dark early in winter, I’d be absolutely fine.
No real prep here. Rugs are all ready and stored away. We don’t get mud so that’s not a problem but I do need a new pair of wellies for wet days!

neddy man

Visit site
Check all water pipes are well insulated so they dont freeze, check drainage is clear and gets all excess water away. Check all lighting and sockets for clipping etc. Ditto everyone elses advice.

canteron

Visit site
I actually dont mind winter at all...esp when it's cold and crisp. What I hate with a passion bordering on obsession is RAIN 🤬🤬🤬🤬 Goddamn stuff really pisses on my chips. I can deal with just about any other type of weather but that grrrrr
Its the howling wind that does for me 💨 💨 💨

Shoei

Visit site
As I have noticed the nights are already drawing in, I thought I would resurrect this thread for those planners and preppers out there!

We had our hay cut early this year, so that's all in. I am hoping for a haylage cut but we have plenty of hay if needs be.
There is a straw shortage this year in our area, I'm hoping I have enough left from last year but if not I will have to change bedding type.
My rugs are all good and ready to go, I have used spray on waterproofer to try and improve the light weights water resistance, so will will see how that goes.
I could do with a new, thick waterproof coat for myself and both of mine have holes in!!!
I need to give the stables and tack room a thorough clear out as I now have 3 in over winter and need to be organised.
I also want to paint the stables, clear gutters and put some hardcore at the entrance to the yard. Last year was the wettest I have known, we are on a hill and it was still horrendous!
I need to get some new portable lights in too.
Oh and send all my clipper blades to be sharpened!

What's on everyone elses to do list?

PSD

Visit site
As I have noticed the nights are already drawing in, I thought I would resurrect this thread for those planners and preppers out there!

We had our hay cut early this year, so that's all in. I am hoping for a haylage cut but we have plenty of hay if needs be.
There is a straw shortage this year in our area, I'm hoping I have enough left from last year but if not I will have to change bedding type.
My rugs are all good and ready to go, I have used spray on waterproofer to try and improve the light weights water resistance, so will will see how that goes.
I could do with a new, thick waterproof coat for myself and both of mine have holes in!!!
I need to give the stables and tack room a thorough clear out as I now have 3 in over winter and need to be organised.
I also want to paint the stables, clear gutters and put some hardcore at the entrance to the yard. Last year was the wettest I have known, we are on a hill and it was still horrendous!
I need to get some new portable lights in too.
Oh and send all my clipper blades to be sharpened!

What's on everyone elses to do list?

I said this last night too, they’re coming in very quick.

I’m having brand new stables and tackroom built so will just have to get them ready/organised for winter. I could do with having some rugs cleaned and repaired too. I also need to invest in new waterproofs! Aside of that, everything is as it always is.