Preventing getting cast.

BeckyMason97

Visit site
Everyday I build huge banks in all of my stables to prevent my horses from getting cast, one of my mares however, digs one corner of her banks out, right around the corner and lies in that place, EVERYDAY. I noticed a bit strip of skin missing from the inside of her leg when I turned her out last week and when I inspected her stable she'd been cast. Is there anything I can fit to the stable to prevent her getting cast? No matter how I build the banks she digs them out and I'm sick to death of her doing it!

BeckyMason97

Visit site
I've just discovered those, however she has a rug on most of the time and I wouldn't want it to make her rugs rub, and I think she'd be too uncomfortable in one to be honest.

What she does is in the back left corner, she leaves the actual corner in, but digs each side of it on both sides so there is a gap, then she leaves the rest up, it's quite strange. There is another horse on my yard which came from the same yard as her and he also rips his banks down, but he's much worse and pulls them all out into a huge pile in the middle of his bed, strange!

Happytohack

Visit site
Anti cast strips fit on to the wall and give a cast horse something to use to get themselves uncast. Google anti cast strip horses and you'll see what I mean. Fieldguard make them and they aren't expensive.

I had a horse who got cast regularly - he loved rolling in clean bedding, so I ended up always putting his clean bedding at the bottom of his bed with slightly dirtier bedding on the top and it worked!

Anti cast rollers are good - they won't let your horse roll completely over and get cast.

BeckyMason97

Visit site
I was looking at the strips, just couldn't understand how high up to put them on the wall as I wouldn't want her to get her feed stuck under, although it sounds stupid!

The only other thing I thought of was building banks with wood and rubber coating them but it will cost a fortune! I think we'll give the strips a try!

Thanks guys!

tallyho!

Following a strict mediterranean diet...
Visit site
Anti cast strips are fitted no higher than where the horses legs can reach to lever away from the wall to right himself up again. I see them fitted in some stable far too high, how will it help if a horse can't reach it?

YasandCrystal

Visit site
I use an anti-cast roller on my mare everynight over her rug. I use an additional small polypad under the roller. It doesn't rub her at all. You need to do them up tight.
Don't start 'guessing' that your horse will be uncomfortable, she will be in a far worse state if she gets cast really badly. These rollers are purpose made.

applecart14

Visit site
Having a 17.1hh gelding in a stable that is approx 14 x 12ft (so stable big enough) with the biggest banks ever has never stopped my horse from getting cast. Fortunately its only happened about three times in nearly 8 years. Someone said to me that having banks can be as problematic for whether horses get cast or not as when they don't have banks!

MrsMozart

Just passing through...
Visit site
We used to always use anti-cast rollers (and had big, solid banks - had to be solid enough for us to stand on!). The rollers never rubbed. We used a small pad between rug and roller, making sure there wasn't a pressure point on the wither.

Spit That Out

Visit site
We used to always use anti-cast rollers (and had big, solid banks - had to be solid enough for us to stand on!). The rollers never rubbed. We used a small pad between rug and roller, making sure there wasn't a pressure point on the wither.

This^^^...I used a lunging roller pad (Polly Pad) under the roller as it's the right size and doesn't slip

LynH

Visit site
My TB mare has worn an anti cast roller every time she's in a stable for the last six years whether she has a rug on or not and never had rubs/seemed uncomfortable. You can buy large poly pad lunge roller pads to put under it when no rugs on if you are worried.