Preventing Lami

vicm2509

Visit site
Can anyone either lead me to a good link, or give me some tips to help prevent laminitis?

My horse is a very poor doer, however atm he has a strangles complication and is on steroids. I have been advised that he is at high risk of developing lami as the complication and the steroids both put him at risk.

So I am now giving him 4 hours turnout a day as apposed to 24/7 as his isolation paddock has very nice long grass. But his feed which is cut right down anyway as he is off it a bit is all stuff for weight gain. Can I carry on feeding it as long as I dont give him loads? He has Fibre Beet (which is making up most of his feed now), Baileys No 1, Barley, Alfa Oil, Sunflower seeds, Soya Oil and Pink Poweder.

As he is on steroids he is putting on weight anyway. But when he is stabled he is not really eating much hay at all. He would usually go through about 1/2 a bale, he eats about 2 slices now over 20hrs as he still has huge abcesses.

Do I need to change anything?

TGM

Visit site
Soluble carbohydrates are the dietary trigger for laminitis - that is sugars and starches. Sugars are found in molassed foods and grass, whilst starches come from cereals - barley, maize, oats etc., which are also contained in many proprietary mixes and cubes.

Definitely cut out the barley and the Baileys No 1, which both contains cereals. The rest should be fine.

You could try feeding a hay replacer - either something like Happy Hoof which is quite soft and may be more comfortable for him to eat, or if that is still too sore for him then soaked High Fibre Cubes, both of which are lami-safe. (Both are by Spillers so contact their helpline for advice on how much to feed when used as a hay replacer).

vicm2509

Visit site
Thank you.

I forgot to add, I also give him a bucket full of soaked fibre beet overnight (2 round scoops full then soaked).

I will cut out the barley and No.1 from today.

amandaco2

Visit site
cut out the barley and mix.you could increase the alfa a oil if he needs more weight.
high fibre cubes as partial hay replacement would be good as he sounds like he could be lacking fibre-and you dont want him to get colic.
any chance you can get some grass already grazed down for him to go on?

vicm2509

Visit site
There is only one field I can use as he has strangles and has to be isolated from the others. Normally I would be over the moon with this field as he holds his weight really well in there, it is normally a hay field but has been given to the infected horses to use.

Links and replies have been great, I never really thought I would need any info on lami having a 16.3 lightweight poor doer.

brighteyes

Pooh-Bah
Visit site
Second eveything above. I'd cut out the oil and seeds as it might be weight gain is an issue, too. Any feed with a Laminitis Trust Logo on is as safe as you are going to get, soak his hay to get the sugar out and maybe add Mag Ox to his feed, too.

Is he allowed exercise?

bensababy

Visit site
i have a pony prone to Lammi. i have him on the Simple Sytem feeds and he has never looked better. Phone them up and they will offer you advise.
Hope it goes well .. i will keep my fingers crossed for you that he doesnt get it.

vicm2509

Visit site
No he cant be exercised. He has strangles, and also developed a very serious complication. He cant be walked in hand as the only way to go is past the other stables and I dont want to put other horses at risk.

His immune system is very very weak at the moment, but he is getting really fed up in his stable as all the others are now out 24/7 so he has no company at all when he is in. I cant give him his treat ball as he cant eat properly from the floor do to abcesses, nor can he have his lickits as they are full of sugar
frown.gif