Price for 4 acres grassland between York and Harrogate

[142093]

Visit site
Hi all,

I am potentially in the position to acquire 4 acres of grassland (slightly clay soil) and am thinking it could be used for grazing etc. I am seeking an approximate price per month that would be fair for this field? I know questions like this have been asked a lot on here before but all the answers on those threads seem different, or ridiculously low! The field benefits from being secluded and accessed via a private road, it has gated access directly to the road as well as a natural water source running through the far end.

I am led to believe that a field of this size could sustain 3 to 4 horses depending on size and character. To that end, does £300 p/m sound reasonable? Graziers would be providing everything, including shelters, maintaining grass etc although I would be up for fencing the area.

Any thoughts appreciated!

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
In that case, no I very much doubt that any-one would pay £300 per month for 3 horses (you won't be able to keep 4 horses on 4 acres), and need to provide shelters, grass management etc. You can get livery for that with someone else being responsible for the upkeep.

Will you be able to get planning permission for shelters, or will they have to be mobile? What is the access like? Is there electricity /running water. Is there good hacking nearby? Is there a school to hire within a reasonable distance? All those things help to make grass livery more attractive.

I suggest that you ring a few livery yards and find out their charges and explore what they charge for. A bare field really won't bring you much return, I'm afraid.

cobgoblin

Bugrit! Millennium hand and shrimp.
Visit site
4 acres on clay soil won't really support even 2 horses.

I have 2 horses on 5.5 acres of clay marl and just about manage if it's a wet winter without it turning to a bog... And that's with stables.

[142093]

Visit site
I'm not entirely sure I agree that it would only be able to support 2 horses as it does have a proper drainage system. There is a school about 1 mile away. My thinking now is £200 p/m with mains water & electric and assisting in obtaining planning for a permanent shelter and muck dump?

teacups

Visit site
Is there planning for horses? If it's just an investment, you need to look at costs versus (eventual) yield. Installing mains water and electric could be expensive too. There are good tenants but also bad ones.

teacups

Visit site
Red House at Moor Monkton have prices on their website for DIY livery, that will give an idea of price for somewhere with a school, stable etc.

pixie

Visit site
I'm a fair few miles away from you.. I have an 8 acre hillside paddock with plenty of natural shelter and a stream at the bottom for fresh water. I let it for no more than 3 horses or 4 ponies at a time. I charge £25/week. Short hacking distance to multiple arenas that can be rented and competition venue.