Price of ponies - would you?

tarzipan06

Visit site
Hi
Would you pay 2500k for a small pony who is aged?
A nice gymkhana pony has turned up but the buyer is wanting this price - is this a bargain? or not?
Any thoughts would be nice.
Many thanks
confused.gif

eohippus

equi-librium.mysite.orange.co.uk
Thats a fair age, however, I would also consider its previous work life, its suitability and experience. I have a sixteen year old going on five, and probably (hope) has many more years to go yet. Has done all disciplines up to his potential, which means he has not been overworked, and am just breaking him to drive. in comparison, I know of many 16 year olds on the verge of retirement because they have been totally overworked beyond their potential and are crocked. Or aged horses with no ability, totally unschooled and have manners of a pig.
What I am trying to say is that age does not necessarily mean the end of their useful life.

by the way how big is he?

If he is still in good nick, totally suitable for the job and rider and has a certain amount of talent, then this is a fairly good price. Does this price include tack ect.

hope this helps
Dawn

tarzipan06

Visit site
Thanks Dawn
He is only ickle 11.1?????
Anyone who knows me of old on this forum knows how much of a cheapskate I am, I always (some how) come across real bargains, but my children have 2 lead rein ponies that are just that and want to progress - the point I am getting at (which I probably know the answer to...) is at 11.1 and at that age/price longetivity is the question????

eohippus

Sometimes though it is better to go with an oldy that has been there and done it and is safe for children moving up from lead rein, you cannot put a price on your childs safety and confidence, good first ponies are hard to come by and if this one is suitable then the price will be worth it. if he is still sound in all respects he can still have a good ten years of work to go, and then be sold as a lead rein or first pony to another owner.
I have seen too many people go for younger ponies because they think they will last longer, but it ended up the ponies were either too fizzy or inexperienced for a first pony and they have ended up getting older ones in the end for the safety and confidence of their children.
food for thought anyway.
good luck on your decision.
regards
Dawn

Moggy in Manolos

Visit site
To be honest, £2500 for a 15yr old 11.1hh pony seems quite pricey to me,i would not pay this,but if you can afford it and feel he/she is worth it then why not,its your choice
As eohippus mentions if the said pony has plenty of life left as opposed to overworked then you should have lots more years out of it.
But depending on if you have looked about for a good deal to no success then why not.
I would certainly have a good look as i said,to me i feel thats pricey for this pony.

lizzie_liz

Visit site
I would be reluctant to pay £2500 for an 11.1 pony even if it is wonderful in all ways but then thats me, especially when we managed to buy a 14hh pony which was 100% all ways with tack and a real PC pony for £1600!! BARGAIN

eohippus

out of interest how long ago was this Lizzie Liz? Was it to be used as a first pony?
I have found that the market for good genuine first ponies is not that good at the moment and ones that are good are going for about £2000 and up. If its safe then it is priceless. I hope you find a suitable pony for your children in the end. It is a hard decision.
Best of luck
Dawn