Price question please-also stringhalt

Nats_uk

Visit site
6yr old bay warmblood gelding

He has done affiliated showjumping up to newcomers, he hasn't been placed but has only been out a few times. He has competed in prelim dressage and also unaffiliated jumping. He schools over 1.15m at home with ease with scope to go higher. He hacks alone and in company in heavy traffic. Loads, is fab to clip, good witth the vet etc.

he has mild stringhalt but it has been seen by 3 different vets and been given the all clear - has a letter from one stating this

£4800ono

Any thoughts on price? Anyone any experiences with stringhalt?

Twiglet

Visit site
I've spent similar on something that's younger, done less, and windsucks. But I wouldn't like to comment on stringhalt, as don't have any direct experience of it. I would imagine it would affect the price significantly though.

Are you buying a new one?! Exciting!

Nats_uk

Visit site
I've spent similar on something that's younger, done less, and windsucks. But I wouldn't like to comment on stringhalt, as don't have any direct experience of it. I would imagine it would affect the price significantly though.

Are you buying a new one?! Exciting!

Mum is but for me to ride too:D

millseysister

Visit site
We had a mare with stringhalt, she never had any problems with it, we bred her and had her her whole life (she died last summer).
She didn't compete at high level, but I did low level affiliated SJ (to Discovery) on her with no problems, she would have gone further than I ever got her, but I always wanted to work on my horse instead. She hunted, hacked etc and she was in ridden work till she was into her 20s, we only retired her because she was starting to struggle with hunting and we have horses to keep fit rather than wanting another to happy hack.
I would say that her stringhalt didn't affect her performance at all, although I wouldn't know about dressage or showing. She did develop stringhalt later in life though, we think possibly due to a previous injury.

caitlineloise

Visit site
No thoughts on the price really, but my dad's old mare had string halt, she was a grade a show jumper, he had her for hunting and she'd jump anything, never lame a day in the 4 years they had her, and she was sold to somebody higher up in the hunt and carried on. :)

siennamiller

Visit site
One of the horses at the racing yard I work at has stringhalt, he was 3rd in the Midlands national, and won last week. His is quite bad, you can tell it is him walking down the yard by the thump as he brings his back leg down-lol.
As someone said though, would it affect dressage scores?

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
I'd say the price was actually a bargin. And if the stringholt is signed off by 3 vets as not being a problem, I'd bite the vendors hand off.

Apercrumbie

Visit site
My horse had stringhalt for a few months but only reverts to it occasionally now. Personally I can't see how it wouldn't affect dressage scores as it is so often understandably mistaken for lameness and it affects their way of going.

OP sorry but personally I think the price may be a bit optimistic. Sounds like a fantastic horse but I don't know many who would take one on like that.

BigRed

Visit site
Unless you want him for showing or dressage, if the vet says he is OK, then it's a personal decision. A horse who is safe and sensible to hack and handle always has a value.

ihatework

Visit site
I purchased a horse about 15 months ago who flew through a vetting. Approx 1 month later he was showing a very mild intermittent stringhalt on his off hind. This has gradually progressed to a more consistent sh gait in walk. It only really shows in hand and in very early warm up stage under saddle, also sometimes when moving off after being stood still for a bit.
I purchased this horse for dressage. So far it hasnt been commented on in a test and the horse is scoring high 60, low 70 at BD.

The horse also jumps superbly.

The horse has been seen by vet and is 100% sound on hard flexions.

He is only 6 and there is no way of knowing how this will affect him in the future, if at all.

In all honesty i would probably not have purchased him had i known about the sh at the time, however having now got the horse and knowing how good he is for me I'm glad I bought him and in the grand scheme of what can go wrong with horses, the sh is a non event that can be easily managed.

In your shoes i would view the horse but only consider purchase if you are 101% certain that in every other way he is perfect for you