Pricing a horse......

stormox

Visit site
I was wondering, because I am going to possibly sell my gelding, having decided on the price I want, or think he's worth, do people usually add a bit onto the price on the advert, because buyers will always try to knock them down?
I have been told that people usually expect to pay 2/3 or 3/4 of the advertised price. Is this true do you think?

be positive

Visit site
I think people do expect a bit of movement in price but how much depends on many things, I usually build in a 10% drop and will not take off any more unless there are good reasons to, perfect home, something showing up at vetting, not selling as easily as expected will all have an influence.
When buying I take much the same attitude, if I cannot afford to pay the full price I will say so before wasting time viewing, if the horse has issues that make me feel the price is far too high then I probably don't want it anyway so would not insult the seller by trying to get the price down a significant amount, I think it does depend a bit on where the price of the horse starts, 2/3 the price of a £3k horse is a fair drop and I would not expect to go that low.

popsdosh

Visit site
The issue is really people will only offer what they feel is right irrespective of where you think it should be ,if you add to much to allow for movement people just wont look in the first place. I really think it is better to price very near to your valuation otherwise you will put off potential buyers in the first place. For example you want 3k but price at 4 you will stop somebody looking who has 3k to spend . The worse scenario ever is to in 3 weeks end up having to advertise at a lower price as buyers have already written it off!

Goldenstar

Visit site
I think that overpricing your horse to allow you to get the price you want on a two third drop in price will risk making the horse look very overvalued on the advert .
I think it's much better to price the horse at the top end of want you think it's worth and just be clear how much you will accept with serious buyers .
Most people expect a little off so a 10% tolerance as be positive says .
When I buy the price I am fixed on is what the horse is worth to me I am not that interested on what the buyer thinks .

small fish

New User
Visit site
Yeah, I'd build in a 10% max amount on the price. I also think it's rude to the sellers to go see something you have no intention paying the asking price for. I've paid full asking price on the last 5 horses I've bought and not been disappointed once.

SpringArising

Visit site
I usually add on a little bit, but not so much that I wouldn't be willing to pay for it myself if I were looking.

For example, if I would like £2500 for a horse, I'll advertise at £2800.

That gives you enough room for negotiation without drastically overpricing the horse.

Theocat

Visit site
If I were shopping, I'd look at what I could afford - I'd only try to reduce the cost if there was a reason to, not just as a matter of course. If I had a £3K budget, I'd look at £3K - £3.5k horses, but not more, and wouldn't expect to beat you down unless there was a reason for it!

MagicMelon

Visit site
Just say "no offers" beside your price. Personally I think that if a horse is priced and doesn't have "ono" or something along those lines then I wouldn't tend to make an offer and I wouldn't expect people to make me an offer on any of mine. I price mine at what I want for the horse, I can't be bothered with people who make offers as some of them make ridiculously stupid ones and its such a waste of everyones time!

Paint Me Proud

Visit site
i added £200 onto the price i wanted to allow for bartering. Buyers like to think they have managed to get some off the asking price, we all like a bargain after all :D

L&M

Visit site
To price your horse, just look at different advertising sites and see what similar type/age horses are going for.

I don't think every one goes in wanting to haggle, unless an ad says 'open to offers', although I am a buyers dream as crap at negotiating, but will always try to get tack and rugs thrown in…..!

Tbh I have only sold 2 horses and both times have got the price advertised for - possibly because I have always priced them accurately and fairly.

Last edited:

kassieg

Visit site
normally I expect 10% drop

i certainly wouldn't expect 2/3 or 3/4 of the asking price !!

I will offer what I think is right. If I think the horse is priced correctly I won't offer less; however if I think they horse is not priced correctly I will offer what it is worth to me.

I will always be fair when buying horses because I know what it is like selling !

soapy

Visit site
I've never sold a horse so probably shouldn't be posting - but from a buyers point-of-view - I paid the asking price for my horse (which was well over what he was "worth") and didn't barter because it was love at first sight! I've no regrets, because we've had, and continue to have, lots of fun together over the years and I've definitely had more than my money's worth. Therefore, maybe just ask a reasonable price for your horse and who knows? You may get a soppy eejit like me come along offering you more than he's worth! I think finding just the right horse is hard enough, so as a buyer, when you do, you'll pay the asking price at least. I imagine anyone offering substantially less would be uncertain about the horse and could end up reselling it later.

Elsiecat

Visit site
I'd feel comfortable offering as low as 70% of the horses advertised price under usual circumstances.
Definitely add a little on to the price to allow for bartering.

Bernster

Visit site
I don't buy/sell much but I'd say up to 10% higher but no more. And bear in mind search parameters as so many people look online, so be careful about going over the first number of what you're looking for i.e. if you want 4,000 then putting him in at over 5k might deter too many peeps with a 4k budget. I wouldn't massively discount if I was buying and have only ever looked when I've been in that general price range.