Pricing and selling a saddle?

fiwen30

Visit site
Are we allowed to discuss pricing of tack on here?

I’ve got an Albion K2 Jump that I bought second hand off eBay in 2014. I think I paid around £750 for it. Had it checked by a saddler and fitted to the cob I had on loan. It only got used about half a dozen times, and it’s been stored indoors on a saddle rack ever since. There’s some discolouration across the stirrup bars, and a couple of nicks in the cantle, but it’s in servicable condition.

I took it to a local second hand tack dealer once - she offered me £200, and I said no thanks, and it’s been sitting around collecting dust since.

I’ve no idea what to price it at, no one on local tack pages seems interested. I’m tempted to put it on eBay to try and get rid, but worried about being stung and out of pocket. Thoughts?

Cortez

Tough but Fair
Visit site
I recently sold an Albion WH wide for what I paid for it 4 years ago, reasonable use and still in very good nick. It cost £480, and that's what I got for it.

mustardsmum

Visit site
I put a Pessoa jumping saddle on eBay, didn't sell despite loads of enquiries, mainly asking if I would accept less if I didn't go through eBay! Put it on local FB pages, and actually forgot it was advertised and then sold it for the price I wanted (£500) and with no other costs. Was advertised for about three months. Then sold a GFS saddle, again left it up for ages and eventually someone contacted me. Both times I got the amounts I was hoping for. I think selling saddles is just a waiting game - eventually your saddle will be the one!

xxmariexx

Visit site
I’m also having trouble valuing a saddle, a rare one aswell, asking advice on a showing page on Facebook and just keep getting people asking for it �� I want a value first, or people are saying ‘I bought one similar for 100’ hmmmmm similar or the same? Cos u can get crap made similar for 100! I’ll be doing a post soon asking for a value!
At a guess I’d say £450-£500
Albion back in the day were right up there in my eyes, but nowadays so many other brands are over riding Albion! Also depends what part of the country your in! Way up north or down to the west things seem to get cheaper....

KittenInTheTree

Visit site
I'd hazard that if you advertise it at a tenth of its actual current value, you might just be lucky enough to have someone offer to take it off your hands for half of whatever that number might be. Provided that you can also hand deliver it to them and provide a three course dinner with wine.

(Not at all bitter about selling second hand tack, oh no...!)

Shooting Star

Visit site
auction it on ebay; the winning bid is the value of the saddle.

That’s how I bought my Albion for £300 ... but I got nearly £600 from saddles direct and they in turn sold it for almost £900 so not necessarily a good idea unless you are certain that your saddle is presently in high demand or you know it is only worth a low value.

Theocat

Visit site
auction it on ebay; the winning bid is the value of the saddle.

The value of the saddle *to the small group of people bidding*. The bigger the pool (ie the longer you are prepared to wait) the more chance of selling it at a price you're happy with.

If someone needs the cash in a hurry, they usually need to settle for whatever the best offer is. If it's just a case of moving on a redundant saddle (and especially if you aren't convinced you won't need it again!) Your best bet is to post it in lots of places and be patient.

Somewhere like Saddles Direct will always sell a saddle for more because they offer returns , etc and it is therefore much less risky for the buyer than buying privately.

ihatework

Visit site
The K2 jump has a fan club. It’s my favourite jump model, seems to fit me well and has gone on a lot of my horses fine.

If you price it around £375/400 it will be snapped up quickly. You could hold out for £500 and I’d imagine it would sell for that if you can wait for the right person.

This is on the assumption the flocking is good and no structural damage.

soloequestrian

Visit site
Gumtree is also good for saddles, especially higher value ones because there is no fee - on eBay the % fee can be crippling. If you're not in a hurry, put it on high for a bit and then reduce the price periodically if it doesn't sell.

jj_87

Visit site
I have successfully sold a couple of saddles through Preloved. I stuck it out and waited (especially with a very expensive jump saddle)

However... saddles direct have a current request for Albion K2’s so if they are in demand you should be able to get a good price!

fiwen30

Visit site
Thanks all. I hadn't been aware of Saddles Direct actually, so double thanks for that. I've sent in a valuation form for 'commission sale' and 'buy outright', so we'll see how that gets on. I see they've got a K2 Jump, 17', MW, same as mine, very similar condition for £850.