Probably a daft question re mare's udder

cidermillcottage1

Visit site
This might be a daft question...my mare was scanned not in foal last year but over the last few days i have noticed some minor swelling to her udder and whilst cleaning it quite a lot of clear fluid came out. I have never seen this before in a mare thats not in foal??
I'm probably just wishful thinking......!!!!
anyone any ideas or seen this before?

Magicmadge

Visit site
Four years ago my mare went to stud but scanned not in foal late in the season. She did not return due to injury. The following year about when she would have been due, she seemed to balloon, udder got bigger, and fluid as you describe was easily expressed. Excited i got the vet out but she was empty, just a phantom pregnancy. She is now in foal and due anytime!!!!!

JanetGeorge

www.horseandhound.co.uk
It could be a phantom pregnancy but it could also be a scanning error (in my experience, the latter is more common!) Depends on when she was scanned - if she was declared empty at a 14 day scan and NOT scanned again to double check, I would get the vet to check her out - particularly if she's showing any other signs of possible pregnancy.

But if it's just clear fluid in the udder, it's probably neither - just a bit of hormone surge/good grass.

cidermillcottage1

Visit site
thanks janet,
she wasn't scanned at 14 days but was scanned at 29 and declared empty..she isn't really showing any other signs - shes too fat and her belly never really tucked up from her first foal!!...it is clear fluid so probably as you say just too much good grass!!!..will keep an eye on her but probably just me dreaming!!!
thankyou!!