Probably a numpty question, but what is formenting?

LizzieJ

Visit site
Apparently it's to do with treating minor wounds but I've never heard of it
blush.gif
Google doesn't seem to know either
crazy.gif

mainpower

Visit site
Foment..... usualy dipping a cloth into water as hot as your skin can bear, wringing out, then applying to a wound to draw any muck up, then repeating when the cloth cools.

JanetGeorge

www.horseandhound.co.uk
[ QUOTE ]
Apparently it's to do with treating minor wounds but I've never heard of it
blush.gif
Google doesn't seem to know either
crazy.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

That's because you should be asking about foment (no r)
grin.gif

Basically using wet heat to encourage the cleansing of a wound, draw out pus etc. Very effective. You can use plain water (as hot as your hand can stand) or add salt - use a CLEAN cloth. Refresh the cloth as often as necessary to keep it above blood temperature. To draw a really dry abcess that is not open takes 10 minutes of fomentation 5-6 times a day!

LizzieJ

Visit site
The question definitely says formenting! It's on an NVQ paper that my housemate and I were doing for fun and neither of us had heard of it
shocked.gif

LizzieJ

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
you are doing NVQ papers for fun..........................?????????
laugh.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Just to check we could pass! She is a lecturer and was looking at old papers. This was on last years NVQ3 paper! Luckily, I knew all the rest
wink.gif

JanetGeorge

www.horseandhound.co.uk
[ QUOTE ]
The question definitely says formenting! It's on an NVQ paper that my housemate and I were doing for fun and neither of us had heard of it
shocked.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not surprised! The standard of proof-reading in educational documents these days is pretty appalling (assuming the person writing the paper could spell - and that's probably unlikely too!
grin.gif
)

Mike007

Visit site
I agree this is probably fomenting, but in the back of my mind I have a feeling I have seen it spelt as formenting, maybe its our dyslexic colonial cousins at work again.(not that I am any good at spelling,but at least I dont pretend its right)