Probably a thick question

Visit site
My new little rescue bitch has just come into season. I have never had an entire bitch before and it set me wondering, do animals get pain like women do when they are menstruating ? Never really thought about this :D

FinnishLapphund

There's no cow on the ice
Visit site
I've heard that bitches don't discard their uterine lining, during or after the oestrus, so their uterus doesn't need to contract the same way our uterus needs to do. As I understand it, the contractions is the biggest cause of our period cramps, so thereby bitches shouldn't feel pain like we women do while we menstruate.

By the way, neither of the 4 bitches I've had before, nor the 3 bitches I currently have, was ever grumpy when they had their seasons.

Clodagh

Visit site
Penny got very clingy and neurotic when she had hers, but she is fairly clingy and neurotic at the best of times. It was her second and last as she will have the offending article removed before it happens again. :)

Visit site
She has suddenly started weeing indoors even though she is let out very frequently. Three times in the house today despite being walked half an hour before. Could this be because shes in season ? She usually only wees about twice a day ? I have booked a vet visit for tomorrow, I cant believe the amount of money Ive spent on vets bills over the past few months !

Clodagh

Visit site
Yes it is quite normal, they want to spread their scent so the males can find them. If you are taking her to the vets for that alone could ytou not just ask them over the phone? You must be a good customer!!

Visit site
I was wondering if it was a urinary infection Clodagh, I nipped in for a sample bottle and receptionist didnt know if it was due to her season.
I think I will cancel then and save my pennies till next time ! Never had a bitch that was not spayed so all new to me, she is driving me potty being really restless too at the moment .

FinnishLapphund

Visit site
I hope things have calmed down on the peeing front today. All my bitches have urinated more times per walk during their seasons, but one of them did it more than the others. When she used to be in season, she urinated on so many spots on our walks, that I doubt she actually had any drops left to let out on the last spots.
But even she still didn't urinate indoors during seasons. That would have been quite meaningless, since they urinate more than usual because they want to spread the message about them being in season to as many as possible, and doing it indoors doesn't help to spread that message.

Visit site
This morning came down to a poo in the kitchen and wee on the carpet! Its frustrating because she gets plenty of outside time but wont wee then ! Normally she only has about two wees a day, cast iron bladder. Does seem to be quite a bit on line about in season bitches doing this, but other people say theirs never do. I do have a neutered male dog so maybe thats why she does it indoors, although she doesnt show any interest in him at all. Seem to be in stuck in a poo/wee situation at the moment as horse that does Guinness book of record poos is now in at night pooing in his stable and walking it in till the bedding is rank !

Clodagh

Visit site
I must admit I don't miss our spaniel at all, it is bliss not to be constantly clearing up pee, so you do have my sympathies.

Visit site
Wouldnt put her in a crate Clodagh as she was previously a puppy farm bitch and she doesnt like being shut in now. Im giving her a stern talking to and have told her she will be down the road with her little wheelie suitcase ! (as if !)

FinnishLapphund

Visit site
This morning came down to a poo in the kitchen and wee on the carpet! Its frustrating because she gets plenty of outside time but wont wee then ! Normally she only has about two wees a day, cast iron bladder. Does seem to be quite a bit on line about in season bitches doing this, but other people say theirs never do. I do have a neutered male dog so maybe thats why she does it indoors, although she doesnt show any interest in him at all. Seem to be in stuck in a poo/wee situation at the moment as horse that does Guinness book of record poos is now in at night pooing in his stable and walking it in till the bedding is rank !

I have to admit that I can't recall having heard about this behaviour in a bitch in season before, but perhaps I've been lucky with mine.

Instead of a crate, could you perhaps buy something like compost net/puppy pen net to create a large enough area for her to be in, so that she doesn't feel shut in, but at the same time limits the amount of area which she has access to?

Perhaps a mad idea, but since you can put bitch protection pants on them to not get blood stains in your house, maybe try buying nappies for children, cut out a hole for the tail, and see if she can't wear that indoors until her season is over?

Visit site
she hasnt actually been leaving blood stains so far luckily, she seems to keep herself clean. Carpet is going through it though.
I would like to take it up and have the floorboards exposed but the bit we have without a carpet, it sounds like Riverdance when the dogs get on it :D

I have just packed her wheelie case, weve just been out and shes had ample opportunity to wee but waited until we were back home and then wee'd in the kitchen.

Last edited:

TheresaW

www.justgiving.com
Thinking back, Luna house trained pretty easily. For about a week or so after her first season though, every morning I would come down to a poo on the carpet in the living room.

Her little wheelie case has reminded me of when we got her (2nd dog brought into the house the cat rules). OH told me he was looking out of the kitchen window and saw Oz (cat) marching down the garden with boots on and a knapsack 😂

Moobli

Visit site
Our entire sheepdog bitch definitely becomes clingy, less work driven (and less useful!) when she’s in season. A friend couldn’t wait to have her working police bitch spayed for similar reasons.

Visit site
Im tearing my hair out at the weeing and pooing indoors every night. I left the back door open last night so she could get out and she still weed in the kitchen. Im just keeping my fingers crossed it is because of her season and not because she doesnt want to go out in the wet, as thats the whole winter I will be mopping up ! Shes been bleeding now for 12 days ! She also spends most evenings pacing round in a circle indoors. She will be off to the vets to be spayed as soon as its feasible. She has got real spaniel mourntful eyes though so I expect she will be staying !

Clodagh

Visit site
Unless you want a litter of pups from now on I would be very careful letting her out unattended, even in the day time. When ours get to 14 days we are with them every minute they are outside the house, male dogs can be determined and females become complete hussies.
I would crate train her, I am sure people on here say forget the dog is a rescue and treat it just as a dog.