Probiotics and antibiotics

scrunchie

Visit site
As some of you may know, I posted yesterday about my baby boy, Dooney, having squirty watery poo. The vet came out and presecribed a 5 day course of antibiotics and recommended that I get a probiotic like pink powder.

Now, I was in Countrywide today, eyeing up the various tubs of pink powder and I suddenly had a thought:

Is it worth feeding him probiotics whilst he's on antibiotics? Surely antibiotics are pretty indiscriminate and will kill any good bacteria I pump into him? Has anyone got any thoughts on this?

I've missed the vet now so I can't ask her, and tbh I'd feel a bit daunted by questioning her judgement. I don't pretend to be a vet - it's just a thought I had. I might be completely wrong about how these things work.

Also, I remember reading a thread on how pink powder is 95% filler so I was wondering what I should feed instead.

Kiribati_uk

Visit site
Hi yea dont feed probiotics with antibiotics, as for what probiotic to use I use biotal equine gold, but have used pink powder and am pleased with both.
The racing yard in ireland used to feed youghurt made from goats milk (farmer used to maker it) after horses had had antibiotics or if they seemed bit low, and you most defo knew they had it cos it was hold onto neckstrap time!!!!

myhorsefred

Visit site
I posted a thread yesterday about squirtys. lol

My cob usually gets really runny with any sort of change, and i'm expecting runny tummy when the grass comes through.

Among other things, i was recommended yea-saac. I'll try and find the link someone posted on my thread.
x

myhorsefred

Visit site
Really sorry, I can't work out how to copy and paste a link from another thread.

If you search for my thread, you'll find the link.