Problem ....How do you retain/control your hairy Cob's Forelock??

Eaglestone

Visit site
I have just taken on the loveliest Coloured Cob ever and am really doing well with him, as he is the nicest chap out :D:D:D

My 'problem' is that I never know the best way to retain/control his very very very long and lush Forelock :confused::confused::confused::confused: .... I want him to see where he is going, whilst I work with him, not for field use :rolleyes:

I have tied it with a pink ribbon :eek:: plaited it and tied it with the pink ribbon :eek:: used bailer twine: taped it ......... so how do you guys control your steeds?

Slinkyunicorn

www.rutlandhorseextras.co.uk
I plait mine and depending on length fold it up (like a big neck plait:D) the best thing to use is the covered human pony tail bands:D I buy the 20 packs so have many as a folded plait may use 3 or 4:eek: If you leave it long you can also tuck it into their nosebands:D

Here is a picture of her today with sadi plait after our hack :D

002-3.jpg

It looks wonky as they were both moving around hoping for a treat.....:rolleyes::D

Eaglestone

Visit site
;)
I plait mine and depending on length fold it up (like a big neck plait:D) the best thing to use is the covered human pony tail bands:D I buy the 20 packs so have many as a folded plait may use 3 or 4:eek: If you leave it long you can also tuck it into their nosebands:D

Here is a picture of her today with sadi plait after our hack :D

It looks wonky as they were both moving around hoping for a treat.....:rolleyes::D

Thank you so much for that instant idea Slinkyunicorn, this is just the sort of idea I wanted and will be out and about next week buying a job lot of the bands.

HHO always comes up trumps :D:D:D

PS .... she is a real cuteeeeeee

Walrus

Visit site
My fell just has his huge fringe loose, he hasn't fallen over yet and the spooks he manages he obviously can see something! CAn't cope with his mane however my hands get in a taffle so he has a running plait for riding.:D

Eaglestone

Visit site
My fell just has his huge fringe loose, he hasn't fallen over yet and the spooks he manages he obviously can see something! CAn't cope with his mane however my hands get in a taffle so he has a running plait for riding.:D

Hmmmm just wondering what a 'taffle' is ..... lovely word :rolleyes::p

MerrySherryRider

Visit site
Hairy boy's forelock reaches his nose but it doesn't bother him, the breeze when he's ridden keeps it out of his way.
Its handy for protection from rain and flies, though in summer, when ridden, he has it plaited to keep him cool.

immoralorchid

Visit site
Heya no problem she has an ideal working hunter show saddle 17 1/2 extra wide. She used to have a cottage craft GP in the same but as she matured her shoulders muscled up and now needs a straighter cut although we can still jump as it has plenty of knee pad. =)

katherine1975

Visit site
When I ride my cob I leave her forelock and she doesn't seem to have any problems with seeing where she is going. In the summer we went to a local show and did a couple of clear rounds and someone commented that she would be ok if she could see where she was going! Her forelock is now down to the end of her nose.
009.jpg

E_Lister

Visit site
Cobs have eyes?!?!?!?

35681_396188450903_706820903_4670406_1436273_n.jpg

We ride with it down generally, although we were joking the other day about the fact that when we plait her forelock she seems a lot more forward!!

P.s. she has lost weight since this was taken and her forelock is now round her nose and very thick!!