Problem mounting all of a sudden

guisbrogal

community.webshots.com
As many of you know i moved Ellie to a new yard at the beginning of March. I have owned her for 3yrs and never had any problem mounting her from a crate.

When we moved to the new yard they have a 'posh' mounting block (two levels with metal handrail etc). As the crate had stayed at the other yard I tried to use the yard block. Ellie was having none of it. We did loads of patient work walking up to it, standing, walking away etc. Sometimes I would mount elsewhere from the floor (with great difficulty I might add as I am getting on a bit
crazy.gif
)and then just walk her up to it, dismount and then climb back on. She wasn't a bit bothered when I did this so I am pretty sure she is just messing me about.
mad.gif

Then one day when I walked to the box and climbed off she turned her bum away and wouldn't let me back on
ooo.gif

I have since found a crate and would you believe it she is being stroppy over that too now and keeps turning her bum away when I climb on it!

Can anyone advise me on how to deal with this before it becomes a real issue. At the moment I have kept everything very low key but I can see it becoming a pain very soon!

Thanks

catembi

Visit site
I had a gelding like this a long time ago when I was at uni. I treated it like a schooling prob. Instead of seeing mounting as a means to an end, ie 5 seconds to get on, I treated it like a 'subject' in its own right. So I'd schedule an extra 1/2 hour or 45 mins, then each time he moved away, I'd reposition him & start again.

I was calmer that way than if I was expecting to just leap on & go. I was mentally ready for it to take as long as it took. The first session took a while, but eventually he got bored & after that, improved each time.

Good luck!

filly190

Visit site
With a new yard and lots going on, she sounds like she is being a little bad mannered. It seems like she is doing her own thing and ignoring you. When you moved, you have perhaps given her extra allowances and time to settle, which we all do, I think now is the time to be a little bit firmer and perhaps remind her who the boss is.

Mungali

Visit site
Sorry to state the obvious but could you get someone to stand with her while you get on and just keep doing this until she stands still and no longer tries to move.

Sounds like she is having a game with you, if you have never had problems before. They are good at that !!!
wink.gif

guisbrogal

community.webshots.com
Hi
When she first started this at the new box I did spend time working at getting her to stand as I wasn't certain that she wasn't frightened of it. I now know she isn't so I have been a little more 'persuasive', but then I realised it was just becoming a problem and one that to be honest doesn't have to be as I have no problem using a crate. Then I reverted back to our old method of mounting, presuming she would be ok.

Pesky madam has on the past two occasions though decided to object. I shall persevere though.....thanks!
laugh.gif

guisbrogal

community.webshots.com
Probably most times I could but like tonight there was no one at the yard to help.
frown.gif

I really shouted at her when she first moved away as I had jsut put my foot in the stirrup and she nearly pulled me over
crazy.gif
. I then moved the crate back next to her and got on giving her plenty of praise for standing. She is definitely just being naughty
shocked.gif

filly190

Visit site
Have just had another thought about your problem, if your mare has always been good, then gone to a new yard, could it be possible that she has mucked about and her back is sore.

I would have a good look at her back, a well behaved decent honest horse that suddenly changes may be trying to tell you something.

Mungali

Visit site
Sounds like it.....my lad can be an awkward little so and so with the killer egg crates or the scary silver plastic steps. Most days he is great, some days he decides to try and move. Interestingly he tries it on with me more than anyone else !. I'm sure they do it to test us and keep us on our toes.

Good luck.
laugh.gif