problem with carrying hands too low, any tips?

gothdolly

Visit site
for some odd reason I have started to carry my hands too low when riding ... Mum has said this a few times and then i watched a DVD of me riding today and realised shes right. I have no idea why im doing this, and tonight out hacking I was trying to make a concious effort to carry my hands higher.

Is there any amazing tip that anyone can give me to help me maintain proper hand position? I dont know why this problem has developed, although I have not been able to afford lessons since I had my son so mayb its just slipping into bad habits and hacking out lazily. Is the old thing about imagining you are carrying a tea tray still considered correct? I have been studying photos of dressage riders in H&H trying to copy their position!!

Thanks
smile.gif

Louby

Visit site
Yes my instructor once gave me 2 plastic wine glasses full of water to carry whilst riding. It was hard
grin.gif

gothdolly

Visit site
I actually think I will try to carry plastic wine glasses of water! This low hand thing is really annoying me so I dont mind looking pretty stupid for a while if it cures me of this fault!

happy_talk

Visit site
or try tying a piece of elastic from d ring to d ring (get someone to do it as you hold hand in the right place). then ride with little finger hooked under the elastic and aim to keep the elastic stretched.

damsel

Visit site
I always find that if you concerntrate on keeping your elbows bent and tucked above your hip and also get a short whip and lay it across the top of your hands and hold onto it with your thumbs. It will help as it is one habit i used to have until my riding instructor told me to do thatx