PROBLEM WITH THE NEW KITTEN

vicster

Visit site
I have got a new kitten called Lexi and we got her from the Cats Protection League as our cat of 9 years had to be put down a month ago bless her - and we have a male cat but he just keeps spitting at the little baby and growling - i just wondered if anyone had any ideas or do i have to end up taking her back? Please help!!!
smile.gif

archoak

Visit site
Don't worry it won't last! The kitten will soon learn to respect the older cat's space and they'll start to play and make friends. We have 4 and 3 year old cats and they were the same at first, try and feed the older one first and let him have a place to sleep away from the kitten at first
smile.gif

vicster

Visit site
Well our boy cat who is lovley and very firnedly is 5 now and the kitten in 3 months but very small for her age as she was neglected and is very nervous i hope he will love her and that they will get on well i think it's just a waiting game isn't it.
smile.gif

luckygirl

Visit site
When we got our cats from the RSPCA they gave us the name of a behaviourist who gave free advice on the telephone. I would recommend getting back in touch with CPL for advice.

Otherwise you can try using diffusers like Feliway that are supposed to calm them down. They are expensive (from vet or on-line) and I don't know if they work.

We were also advised to hold cat introduction sessions where one of us played with each cat, getting them used to each others company. You should also feed them within sight of each other and swap litter trays until they will share one. Apparently it is all about convincing the existing cat to accept the new one as part of the family.

Growls and spitting are pretty usual during introductions in the beginning.

We have just successfully introduced a kitten to our resident cat but took it slowly. They now share a bed and play together.
However I previously got two cats from the RSPCA who would not settle no matter what we tried, in the end they had a massive fight. Sadly one of them went back.

Hope it works out.

ruscara

Visit site
Some years ago, I got a new kitten when my existing cat was about two. He left home in disgust for a couple of days (much worrying) but came home and very soon they were sleeping together cuddling up fine. I would give them a bit more time.

MillionDollar

Visit site
Yeh, don't worry at all, just give it time and they will sort it out, and most probably become best friends.

We currently have 8 cats, and they are always like this at first with the young ones.

One idea is to rub towels over the kitten and then place one under the older cats feed/water bowl and place one where the cat sleeps. The cat then gets used to the smell of the kitten. Also keep the 2 cats in one or two rooms so they can run away from each other, but just not that far. Don't worry the older cat will not attack the kitten, this is extremely rare.

Hope this helps
smile.gif

archoak

Visit site
It will work out, our older one was a year when we got a kitten and you have to just hold your breath really and let them get on with it
grin.gif

vicster

Visit site
I think that if within the next few days it hasn't settled then i will get back in touch with CPL and see what the lady says. I hope they can beome friends. Thanks
smile.gif

mandy4727

Visit site
Don't worry they will get used to each other. Bit like new horses in a field. We got a kitten about 3 years ago. And have an older cat aged 9. It was the kitten who was hissing and spitting at the older cat and I thought it would be the other way round. It was only a matter of a week or so that they were running around and chasing each other. They will never be the best of pals but do lie near each other now and sniff and try to eat out of the same bowl. But if one cat is asleep and the other makes him jump going past they have a bit of a hiss at each other and this is after 3 years.

vicster

Visit site
We have all the doors to every room open so they can run away from eachother - i would say our existing cat is more of a baby than the kitten she is very willing to go and see him but he is like i don't think so spits and growls at her and runs away.
smile.gif

vicster

Visit site
Well this was what it was like with the little cat we just lost she would tolerate him but still hissed and things at him so i am just keeping my fingers crossed that he will be nice to her and accept her. I think they are very teratorial aniamls aswell which might be another reason.
smile.gif

Moggy in Manolos

Visit site
I think they will settle,they just need time,they will learn to either to tolerate,like or love one another,but it will be fine,animals need to adjust thats all,shame they cant talk or understand us sometimes eh?
smile.gif

penelopeanne

Visit site
My boys are 9 months and we have just introduced Abigail into our family..... Ebony plays with her which is so funny to watch. However, Ivy hates her!!.... he is fine at feeding time but then gives her a cuff around the head. I am sure he will get better as time goes on. The ginger ninja has already made friends with the dog... I will soon be posting photos of the three of them... the best of mates!!
grin.gif