Problems introducing new pony

bounce

Visit site
I'm trying to introduce a new pony into the field with my current pair and am having some issues.

My mare loves the new addition and is absolutely besotted with him and wont leave him alone and my gelding absolutely hates him and just constantly chases and bites him. Currently I have the new pony in the field in a separately fenced area for his own protection and to get used to the others. He's no trouble at all he just wants to get his head down and eat but when let out with the other two they just surround him and chase him until they can corner him.

I know I can let him out with my mare and she will just constantly follow him around without much issue but my gelding is the problem.
My next step is to try and let my gelding and the new one out together and keep my mare separated but I know she is going to go mental if she can't get to them and as her stable faces the field keeping her in is also going to be fairly tricky.

Any tips on ways to go about having a happy little herd or am I likely to have ongoing problems trying to introduce one into an established pair bond? I only bought the new one as a companion as my mare goes mental when I take my gelding away and when I am away competing I want to leave two happily in the field and not worry about them.

Anyone had any similar experiences?

meleeka

Visit site
I had awful trouble trying to introduce a mare to my lot. I’d say give it time. It took a couple of months of being in adjacent fields for mine to settle. When I did put them together I still took the new one out overnight for a while. I made sure any hay was put near the fence so they couldn’t just avoid her totally. I expect your gelding is feeling a bit put out by the new addition, taken the attention of the mare and away from him.

be positive

Visit site
Two geldings and one mare doesn't always work well as the mare will be the centre of attention, getting the two boys together may help as may putting them into the new ones field rather than him into theirs initially as they will be less territorial , you will have to take it step by step and may have to keep them apart just putting the new one with the mare when you need to for a while.

bounce

Visit site
Neither geldings are remotely interested in the mare. The only interested party is the mare showing interest in the new little one. I do think my gelding is a bit jealous of the new one getting the attention from my mare though. I do hope they settle.