Problems taking two to a show

maree t

Visit site
Took both horses with a pony babysitter to a show together for the first time yesterday .
What a pain . They spent the whole time screaming to each other . Panicing when one was taken away . Rearing in the box .
We thought we had it covered by taking the pony as well but didnt work out that way , we usually only take one at a time but as the show centre is quite a trek thought we should try and get them both out . Dont know wether to try again and see if they settle or wether its just a bad idea . They travel and stand all day on their own with no trouble .

We would really like to be able to travel both together but dont want any injuries .

benz

Visit site
I'd probably try getting them used to it at home without the pressure of a show (for you!) first. If they become happy one in the box one out at home, try boxing to a local arena see how that goes before progressing to both at a show.

lizziebell

Visit site
Can you hire a local school a few times, and have another rider? You could then start by taking them both out to ride, taking one back to the lorry a few minutes before the other, doing a bit of swapping around and extending the time gradually as they get more comfortable with going back and forth to the lorry together and alone. Maybe take something tasty in a bucket so when one is waiting you can try food distraction. If they are usually good at being on their own, then it might just be the whole travelling, venue and competition atmosphere.

poiuytrewq

Visit site
My daughters horse gets like this. It's maddening because they are not even stabled on the same yard so only meet up if she takes both somewhere which is really not often.
Both are 100% alone in all other situations including left on the lorry but we have yet to master this!
I have to stay with the left one while she rides the other which is a pain because I've missed lots of things whilst walking a slightly hysterical horse round a lorry park :(

FfionWinnie

Visit site
Leave them on the trailer with a haynet til they shut up. Might be easier to have the battle at home at least initially but you might need to have it at an event as well, but if you've already done the ground work at home it will be a smaller one ;). At home I would deliberately ride past the one I was leaving and ride the other away out on a hack until they get over themselves as often as necessary. It's a boring job but it makes life much nicer. I regularly take three out competing along with my 7yr old daughter so I can't have any nonsense like that.

AdorableAlice

Visit site
My pet subject and one that should have been dealt with when they were young horses. Not something most of us can control sadly.

Independence and confidence needs to be taught from an early age because at some point the horse is going to find itself alone, box rest, competing, loss of a mate - or at a show. It is also a potentially very dangerous situation for handler and horse when one kicks off and throws a tantrum. Running through fences, jumping out or getting stuck in a lorry are all situations that nightmares are made of. They are herd animals and instinct drives them but we can teach them to be confident alone.

As FfionWinnie mentioned the horse has to get over itself so going into a horse that is banging the lorry is actually reinforcing the behaviour because the horse is controlling you. It creates a noise and you respond. Obviously you cannot walk away from the lorry but you can ensure the horse is safely tied so it cannot get a leg over a partition and just shut the door on it whilst the other horse goes off for its class. You can practice this at home too, keep swapping them over until both stand on the lorry, both work independently and both grow up.

My young horses are all exposed to being in a field alone, in the yard alone etc and it has paid off big time despite all 3 of them living together from birth. I did take a third person on the lorry when they started competing together so someone could just sit in the living or outside on deck chair. We also made sure they both had a number of solo outings before going together.

It is a sortable problem, just needs thought and planning and a little firmness on your part OP.

Lulup

Visit site
It works better if you can take both off and work them separately so they get used to going out and being separated - leaving one behind is always a big ask till they really get used to it. A busy horse is much easier to distract/keep calm than one standing still on a lorry watching the other walk away. Try boxing up somewhere to hack then when you get there hack separately - just long enough for them to accept the separation calmly.

maree t

Visit site
Thanks people . Both horses hack alone and travel etc perfectly . We were able to leave the mare in the end but the younger horse was just calling and calling . He rears so it got too dangerous so we unloaded all of them and OH just had to stand and hold him . He didnt stop calling . Luckily they both actually jumped really well , they go out most weekends so dont tend to get silly at shows until yesterday !! I will keep at it and see how it goes .

oldie48

Visit site
I'd also stick at it. My daughter's young event horse was a complete nightmare initially but we just used to ignore him and eventually he got over it although I used to watch the lorry rather anxiously it was, fortunately, quite well built!

Svapu

Visit site
I'd also stick at it. My daughter's young event horse was a complete nightmare initially but we just used to ignore him and eventually he got over it although I used to watch the lorry rather anxiously it was, fortunately, quite well built!

I have the same experience. In our case it was two young horses, so the first hobby competition was a real circus with us trying to get a saddle on the first half-crazy one (took us twenty minutes of his very active un-cooperation), while on the background, the second one was trying to trash the trailer:) I almost cried at the end, so happy the nightmare is over:D
But we did hold on - it got better every time and eventually they became quite well-behaved. During that time we did a lot of training in strange enviroment, though.

Annagain

Visit site
My two do the calling but not the rearing. I just ignore whichever one is on the box and make the one I'm riding work hard and make sure their focus is on me so they have no spare energy to muck about. We used to have histrionics but I just kept plugging away and letting them get on with it -the one who was the worst is now the quieter of the two when on the box (hay is the answer, his tummy is more important to him than anything) but the more likely to be stupid when I'm riding him, especially as his brother will call very loudly to him! They're both fine on their own but they are 21 so should know better!

MagicMelon

Visit site
I find it depends on the horses. Some settle, some dont. I tried several times to take 2 of mine to events - one was absolutely fine but the other lost the plot when left at the trailer. If left inside he'd begin rearing up (and this particular horse did have a habit of jumping the breastbar...) and if tied to the side he'd basically trash the side of the trailer (smashed lights etc.) and he was too much to lead about. I said never again and never did take more than 1 again until only recently where I now take one of my horses and my sons pony together, the first twice my horse got a little wound up being left at the trailer but soon settled. Now she just munches on her haynet, ther other one does the same. They neigh to each other but thats about it, nobody acts up as such. Weirdly these two HATE each other at home, maybe thats why they're not bothered when out together!