Problems with haybars?

Happytohack

Visit site
I am sure there was a post on here about a horse's leg being caught in a haybar? We have had haybars for a year now and apart from the pain of cleaning them out we haven't had any problems, suddenly our big chap refuses to eat out of his - can only think that he has banged his head somehow. So its back to haynets. Anyone else had any problems?

Ludi-doodi

photobucket.com
The only problem I've had with mine (which I've had for about a year now) is that that the top isn't moulded plastic but a separate piece of tubing which sits behind the top lip and somehow Ludo has managed to separate it from the rest of the bar. It's not causing any problems, but without it it's not as round across the top as it once was. OH keeps promising to glue it back into place, but still waiting LOL!

MagicMelon

Visit site
I have a paranoia about haynets and dont use them unless absolutely necessary (like when travelling etc.) after one of mine got his hoof tangled in one (even though I tie them as high as possible - he must have pawed at it or something).

In our stables we use usual corner hay racks (the kind with horizontal and vertical bars) and had no problem with these. Id love a Haybar but one of mine enjoys chewing things, especially plasticy things so I could only imagine he'd munch round the edge of it!!

YorksG

Over the hill and far awa
Visit site
No problems at all, had ours just over a year and they are great, hate hay nets, we were feeding straight from the floor, but some of ours are very messy. The other possibility for horses aversion could be rodents perhaps, we have had trouble with rats this time and they have got into one of the hay bars from behind the kick board in the stable. Poison for rats appears to be the only solution.

Caritas

Visit site
My horse absolutly ruined his in one night!! Rang the manufacturers who were very rude and self defensive over this product and accused my horse of being the worse cribb biter on record. Dont rate them sorry!!

_jetset_

Visit site
I love mine, and so does Hannah... I needed one because when she has the foal she can't use a haynet, but mixes all her haylage into her shavings if I don't put it in something!

Nikiolola

Visit site
Yes - my horse chucks everything out of hers and proceeds to defacate on it! lol

I persevered last winter, but after a couple of weeks of this, I've devised a system where I can tie a haynet in the hay bar, so solves all my problems, except it means I have to fill hay nets again, my least favourite thing!

piebaldsparkle

Visit site
Never had a problem with mine and now all my mates have started getting them too. Sooo much easier than filling nets. Think earlier post re: rats sounds like a possible cause - loads around this time of year.

flyingfeet

Visit site
Sorry might be off topic - but I cannot see the it point in Haybars. I can see they might prevent wastage, but also I don't think it would do respiratory problems any good as all the spores and dust from hay would be enclosed. Also they look like a potential hazard for the more playful horse.

I feed on the floor, no posture issues, no haynets to fill, and free flowing air around the horses head.

VictoriaEDT

www.equinedental.co.uk
Yes I agree that floor is best but not if your horse drags it round the stable (like mine), pees all over it, refuses to eat it and then behaves all hard done by in the morning because he is starving!!!!

From a dental perspective I always recommend haybars for all my clients.

If you were worried about a horse with respiratory problems then surely you would soak your hay anyway? If its soaked then you dont need to worry about the dust in the bar?!

flyingfeet

Visit site
Agree that if a horse had COPD etc, you'd feed soaked hay / haylage. However when that dries you would still be exposing them to breathing dust / spores in a enclosed area.

I would also worry that haybar use could cause problems due to the restricted airflow.

However, yes I am lucky that mine all seem relatively tidy with their hay.

Kermie

Visit site
I have home-made versions in my stables and they are great. I'm using much less hay than last year.
smile.gif