Procrastinating. What's my perfect horse?

Caol Ila

Visit site
I should be emailing more people marketing my book, but I can't be bothered today. I should also replant some sundews but it's grey and dreary.

At some point in the next few years, I will be looking for a horse. Gypsum is going strong at 27 but she's unlikely to live until she is 37 (although you never know....). Occasionally, I contemplate what my next one might look like. I love Highlands, and I live in the right place to buy one. But many seem quite stuffy in their movement. I also love Morgans, but I very much don't live in the right place to buy one. I love PREs, but they seem expensive and might not be the right horse. I want something that would be fabulous and sure-footed on rough, steep trails but has enough athleticism and elasticity in its movement to entertain me in the dressage ring. So....Gypsum, but with social skills and more tolerance for midges. I'm unlikely to find another Shire-TBX quite like that.

What does my future horse look like? Entertain me. :)

Wheels

Visit site
Connemara
native of any type x TB or Arab (I love a nice welsh / arab cross)
clydesdale or shire x TB or arab

I used to know an absolutely stunning horse who was 1/4 clydesdale, 1/4 TB and 1/2 arab - although his movement wasn't amazing but he was a great hunter, hack, SJer and very pretty!

DirectorFury

Visit site
Definitely Welsh but they might not meet the "tolerance for midges" part of the criteria - some bloodlines are badly effected by sweet itch.

Caol Ila

Visit site
During my stint as a freelance trainer, I worked with a Welsh Sec D who had terrible sweet itch. I think she was originally meant to be a broodmare at a stud in Wales, but they decided that career wasn't for her due to said sweet itch. She ended up sold to a riding school, and my student bought her from there. I liked the mare, but was also kind of glad I could go home at the end of the day (I'm sure teachers feel that way about other people's kids). The mare was hot and opinionated about everything! I should add that I prefer them to have a relatively laid back attitude about life.

MiJodsR2BlinkinTite

Slopping along on a loose rein somewhere in Devon
Visit site
The very best-ever advice was what I was given by my old farrier, and it is this:

"When looking for your next horse, go for something that is completely different to what you've had; better still let that horse 'find' you.......".

Hoping your next equine companion will indeed search you out; I've had my little mare (profile pic) almost exactly three years now, and she "found" me and "chose" me...... its been good. Hoping the same can happen for you.