Producing a horse for someone??

Visit site
How does it work? seen an ad for a rider for a youngster to sj and compete. Do the owners usually pay or just pay for some things, as surely they would be doing the rider a favour letting them have a horse to compete etc?? Just not sure how it usually works, thanks

PapaFrita

pilar-larcade.com
I ride (school) and compete a horse for someone; they pay for everything, livery, shows, etc PLUS a small 'wage'. When they sell the horse they keep all the money. He was a complete shite when I first got him though and certainly wouldn't have risked my neck for nothing and they wouldn't have got anyone else to do it for less than I charge.

Visit site
See my friend has one and rides and jumps it for the owners, but she pays for everything, owners just pay insurance and fee;s to any big shows etc. My friend couldnt afford a good youngster of her own so she says its a good thing for both of them. hmm.

PapaFrita

pilar-larcade.com
I think it depends on the individual case and the quality of the horse. Where I live (Argentina) things are usually done how I described ALTHOUGH I've known top riders to take the horse for nothing in in exchange for a chunk of the profits when it's sold. This suits the owner because they will almost certainly get a better price than if they were selling themselves, and the rider who can hike prices pretty much at leisure!

filly190

Visit site
I would image that you turn up and get the rides at home and the competing and they pay for the horse keep. I would'nt think you would get paid, but its worth asking, as you are adding value to the horse to their benefit.

If I were without rides to compete with and wanted to establish my name, by picking up other rides on a similar basis, I would be happy to do it for free, I would ask for travel expenses though if I was going in my own car.

It depends what you personally want out of it, if it is what I have suggested then it is benefical to be riding other peoples horses.

A friend of mine has a lady compete her eventers, she does nothing other than turn up for the competion and give them private lessons on their horses. The lessons are paid for but the competing is free and she has established a good name for herself and is asked to ride other peoples horses and has picked up some super clients to give lessons to. So for her, doing it this way has helped build a good bank of clients and a good name for herself.

Visit site
Like the horse is stabled at my friends yard, she pays feed, bedding etc, owner just pays entry fees and insurance. The owner has basically bought a good young horse for her! But its good as shes doing well and making her name for herself, as a producer at least. any other thoughts?