Product to seal wounds?

no_no_nanette

Visit site
My mare has some nasty fly bites on her tum which I think she has been itching with her hoof and opening up. I have been bathing them when she is brought in from the field in the morning with Aloe Vera and then putting Derma anitseptic cream on, and by the evening they are looking fine, have dried out, and looking quite healthy. (She's kept in during the day at the moment, as the flies are SO bad) But overnight she seems to be opening them up again - maybe when she gets up from lying down, or maybe she's itching them with her hoof ... and of course the flies love it! I seem to remember that there is a product that you can put on small cuts and wounds that is antiseptic and it also seals the wound with a "skin". I've had a quick look on the 'net but can't find anything. Does anyone have any ideas about this, or about alternative ways of stopping her constantly reopening these "fly bumps"?

kbt2661

Visit site
Sudocreme, works wonders. Unfortunately you cannot get rid of them completely at this time of year if the flies are bad and pony keeps scratching but this will stop them from getting infected and keeps them from getting worse. Works for our lad.

Maggie2

Visit site
Aluspray, from the vet, will do exactly that, seal a wound and prevent the flies.

Wound needs no infection when applied or will seal it in.

MagicMelon

Visit site
Cut Heal is by the far the best stuff. My vet recommends it to everyone for all cuts! It also mimises any scarring at all, and heals stuff up so quickly.

Or like kbt, if the cut isnt bad at all then sudocreme is good. I tend to use this on yucky skin problems rather than cuts as such though.

LEC

Opinions are like bum holes, everyone has one.
www.youtube.com
Sudo cream did nothing for my horse
frown.gif
- I absolutely love purple spray works a treat.

no_no_nanette

Visit site
Have just done search for Aluspray, (hoping to avoid expense of vet providing) - and it does seem as though we are being ripped off on this sort of product in the UK. Its freely available in the US from many providers for $11, but not in this country - no equine vet products companies seem to stock it for the general horse public. Is this a good safety precaution, or an example of how, yet again, we are paying more in the UK for products available on the open market in other countries? No wonder we horse owners constantly have a black hole in our finances!
frown.gif

_jetset_

Visit site
Only problem with sudocream is that I am sure it is being banned under FEI rules... I bought the Dermagel by Equine America. It leaves a jelly type layer over the wound and protects it from flies, dirt etc. Also, how about New Skin that is for humans?

appennea

Visit site
I think you mean intrasite gel? Many similar products - usually have squeezy end of some description and quite long applicator. There are two cheaper alternatives I can think of - one is red and has spring like plastic body and there's another thats just a blue and white tube and is called vet...something. All excellent stuff - surface dries and seals perfectly whilst keeping wound in moist environment.

flyingfeet

Visit site
Only thing I would say is be careful with some of the sealing sprays

I tried C2heal on me and it really stung. Pretty sure none of my horses would tolerate that!

no_no_nanette

Visit site
Big thanks for all the suggestions - put Cut Heal on her yesterday, and when brought in this morning, guess what! No flies,no reopened wounds, all looking much healthier. Great!