profecional training for horses

horesy emmy
i have a horse tht is young and keeps falling. im 16 and have been seriously injured twice by him. he is 5 and we do general pc and some competeing bt recently my mum is getting worried about me riding him and its making her ill because of how serious my last injury was. do you think he will benifit from been profecionally scholed at this age if so how do i go about looking for someone thanks. <font color="red"> </font>

Jemayni

Visit site
Perhaps you should about whether you are over-facing him? A 5yo should not keep falling, it is quite possible that you are asking him too much for his ability and balance at the present time.

vic07

Visit site
is he falling when jumping or on the flat?

I would be worried about neurological problems and would probably get him checked by your vet.

horesy emmy
he falls on the flat. we have had him checked out and the vet says he is fine. he is just vety on the forehand and doesnt engage at all. i have tried everything i can do myself do u think he would benifit from been profecionallyu schooled or turned away for a year. my only problem with been turned away is he has come on so much from when he was broken that i dont want to ruin that and i dont have another pony to do pc on.

horesy emmy
a general riding pony for a 15 year old is not overfacing him i ride him about 4-5 times a week on flt and some times jump and occasionally go 2 pc rallies and do clear round sj wth him as he hasnt learnt to jump properly yet. i have lessons once a week and me n my instructor have brought him on since a three year old. he falls cuz he is to on the forehand and i dont no how to overcome this problem and one lesson a week with my instructor is not helping. i have considered turning him away but it will ruin how well he has come on he is 6 next year and i know he shudnt make these mistakes but lets face it a 5 year old that i only jump 2ft3 is hardly been overfaced.

Jemayni

Visit site
Oh sorry... Presumed you meant jumping. Turning away a five year old does seem a little crazy seen as its their main growing up age?
Which PC are you with? Do you have lessons?
Professional schooling could be worth a shot if your family are this worried. I could suggest some people who might school your horse, as I live relatively local to you; but would it be OK for me to PM you with them because I don't want to post names for obv reasons.

vic07

Visit site
I would be seriously worried about him. If he is falling on the flat, how can he be safe to jump etc... I event and would never ride something that wasn't well co-ordinated and sure footed. Horses don't fall over - they do everything in their power to stay on their feet. Good luck with him but please remember that your life is very valuable and no horse is worth serious injury.

Jemayni

Visit site
Sorry, I didn't mean to sound accusing, if i did.. He doesnt sound overfaced at all, I just thought you meant he was falling whilst jumping, possibly fences that are too large or whatever, but obv not! Which PC are you with?

jemima

Visit site
How about this for an idea - you say you're not seeing an improvement with your instructor on your one lesson a week so why don't you ask her if you can have the next few weeks off and save your money up and ask her to give you a lesson every other day during the Christmas holidays - see if the concentrated work will help.

Toby_Zaphod

Visit site
I don't want you to take this the wrong way, but both you &amp; your horse probably need professional help. My daughter had similar problems. She had moved from ponies to horses &amp; it got to a point where she was starting to get scared of her new horse. She'd come off &amp; injured her back, tyrip to A&amp;E &amp; fortunately only severe bruising &amp; off riding for 6 weeks. He was lovely but he was exhuberant, full of life &amp; she didn't really have the ability to give him the schooling that he desperately needed.

We sorted out a really good trainer and over a period of time he trained both the horse &amp; my daughter. Now the horse is balanced, he has competed at Dressage &amp; also showjumping. He is steady, he responds to the aids &amp; my daughter has no worries on him at all now.

When you are young &amp; also on a young horse quality training is essential. Your horse is probably very loving, &amp; wouldn't intentionaly harm you etc but in the cold light of day he is around half a ton of powerful muscle with a mind of his own. That muscle must be harnessed &amp; under your control otherwise serious injury can occur. You need to seek training....to keep you safe &amp; your Mum sane!!!

Good Luck, it will come right in the end.
smile.gif

Sorry for the length of reply but it is important.

Patchwork

Visit site
Just another idea: my friend had a five year old pony who did what sounds like the same thing. He fell several times, always on the flat (schooling or hacking), and went right down onto his side. She stopped riding him and in the end he was sent up to Liphook where they diagnosed some kind of soft tissue damage in his shoulder and back. The pony had several months off, a new saddle fitted, sessions with a McTimoney chiropracter and the best part of six months spent bringing him back very gradually into work. He has been back in full work for a year now, is used for all PC activities and has not so much as slipped since. Might be worth getting your boy checked out, although these injuries are hard to pin-point, and time off might be beneficial if it is some kind of physical problem.

smile.gif

jes_nibley

www.languedocgundogs.co.uk
if you are having a lesson every week but are considering having him professionally schooled then i am assuming that money isn't that much of am issue (pls correct me if i'm wrong), but could you have more than one a week or maybe ask for another trainers perspective? after all, it's much easier to offer advice if you're actually watching / working with it.
good luck! x

eohippus

equi-librium.mysite.orange.co.uk
At five years old it is never too late to reschool him. However, if your current instructor has been used since he was three and this is happening, I would consider that a change in instructor may be another option. I assume that this instructor has helped you train this horse since a three year old? ask yourself then why it is on the forehand and why he is falling/tripping whatever. it sounds to me that the instructor is not the best for you and your horse and even though you may spend money to get him reschooled, if the instructor is the problem, the horse will relaspe into this habit again.
hope that makes sense
best wishes

Dawn

horesy emmy
thankyou for your concern!

the instructor is one i have known of for a while and is a qualified bhsI so she does no her stuff. she hasnt trainned him since a three year old only about a year bt maybe u are right

thankyou