Professional riding away?

merlin84

Visit site
Am currently sharing a bit of a project with an owner. He is a young horse who we started over the summer. Took to everything well in terms of having bridle/saddle on, carrying a rider, ambling round in circles with a rider etc. Super chilled out start.

Unfortunately the owner is now less available and so progress has stalled.

This is my first horse although I’ve been riding for some time so I don’t feel able to continue progressing him without the (very experienced) owner’s support.

Am considering the possibility of looking into a professional yard for riding away and getting him some experience.

Does anyone know anywhere in Kent/SE that they would recommend. Also a ballpark figure for how much I would need to be willing to pay to get someone good (PM if prefer).

I absolutely know in my head I should just walk away from this one but he is the kindest most honest sort and I feel bad for him that his actual owner has completely lost interest.

be positive

Visit site
If he has been easy up to now why not invest in some lessons with a good instructor instead of sending away, you could work together and in many ways get more for your money, you would be looking in the region of £1k for a month or so in a good yard and that would pay for a lot of lessons, if the owner is going to pay that would be different but from your post that seems unlikely, they also may not be willing to allow him to go anyway.

Polos Mum

Visit site
Good quality professional bringing on will be expensive - if you really like him and the owner has lost interest could you offer to buy him before investing hugely?

I would expect to pay £30-40 an hour (x 5 hours a week) for someone good's time plus full livery (£150 a week) so perhaps £300-350 a week and for a youngster to get to a consistent work it might be 2-3 months.

If he's trying but just green I'd echo a lesson a couple of times a week to help both your confidence and give you things to work on between lessons safely (lunging, walking in hand etc.)

merlin84

Visit site
I don’t own him but from previous conversations with owner, they would be happy to sell him to me and he isn’t high value.

I haven’t agreed to buy him as yet as first time owner with a green horse is obviously not a match made in heaven.

Having said that, I have completely fallen for him and his nature so now am looking into possibility of transferring ownership but as I am very obsessive about planning ahead, I really don’t want to offer anything I can’t follow through with and that includes getting all potential costs sorted in my head.

Trainer could be a good path rather than sending away although would need to be someone who could come to me as I don’t have a box and have never loaded him( owner says he is chilled with it but that would be something I would need to find out about)

ihatework

Visit site
You would be paying £180-250pw for professional production, but from what I’m reading between the lines I’m not sure if this is how money would be best spent.

I’d suggest getting someone reasonably competent in to help you 2-3 times a week. It could be a combination of them riding and training you. That is assuming you are on a basic livery set up. If you are currently on a comprehensive part/full anyway then yes training livery generally works out better value - but still use someone who will train you alongside

merlin84

Visit site
Thank you everyone for your guidance- really was thinking the only option was sending him away so will revise my search to look for trainers instead.

We are on DIY at the moment which will continue so livery cost is low.

sport horse

Visit site
I would find a good trainer/rider. Let them have him for a few weeks and then have some lessons while he is still with trainer which can then continue when you get him home.

gallopingby

Visit site
Definitely don't send away!! If you keep in present situation you will be able to monitor whats going on and as well as having lessons may find that person will also ride for you. Yes there are some good yards that you can send a horse to and they'll do a good job, equally there are some who will ruin a horse for you or do a rush job at the end of a couple of months because they haven't put the work in. Too many horror stories about these days. Good luck whatever you decide.

Pinkvboots

Visit site
Where are you in Kent? I do know a pro rider that I sent one of my horses to and would highly recommend, she will also come out and teach or ride for you, let me know if you want details.

sport horse

Visit site
Definitely don't send away!! If you keep in present situation you will be able to monitor whats going on and as well as having lessons may find that person will also ride for you. Yes there are some good yards that you can send a horse to and they'll do a good job, equally there are some who will ruin a horse for you or do a rush job at the end of a couple of months because they haven't put the work in. Too many horror stories about these days. Good luck whatever you decide.

There are also plenty of excellent producers of horses - you just need to be very careful and ask around. Preferably taking advice from people who DO send their horses away and have personal experience. I have used a top class person in West Sussex for a tricky youngster that we preferred to leave to a professional and we got back a beautifully produced, relaxed young horse who is now on his way to a top sport career. The advantage of sending to a pro yard is that it will be handled and done by an expert all the way through.

twiggy2

Visit site
Make him yours before spending lots of money and getting more emotionally attached by investing nore time in him.
To be honest a first time owner with patience, coon sense nd the ability to get good instruction and the will to put time in to an honest horse they are fond of does infact sound like a match made in heaven.
You leady know and love the horse go for it, buy him and make hom just perfect for you.

JFTDWS

Visit site
There are also plenty of excellent producers of horses - you just need to be very careful and ask around. Preferably taking advice from people who DO send their horses away and have personal experience. I have used a top class person in West Sussex for a tricky youngster that we preferred to leave to a professional and we got back a beautifully produced, relaxed young horse who is now on his way to a top sport career. The advantage of sending to a pro yard is that it will be handled and done by an expert all the way through.

Indeed - Jason Webb is in Kent and is, I think, pretty good at turning out horses who have had a fairly sensible and laid back introduction to ridden work. I know a few people who have used him for precisely this, to good results (though there is always the question of how much of that is down the individual horse - my mare came through a breaking yard (not JW's) which is the subject of a lengthy and very negative thread on here, but is a very well mannered and charming animal - evidently unusual for that trainer!).

Highflinger

Visit site
I suggest you have say 2 or 3 lessons on him with a good instructor so they can assess whether you are a good combination and if so then buy him before investing any more money and then continue having lessons together. Although a first time owner and young horse are not an ideal combination with the right horse and good instruction you could learn together and build a wonderful bond and partnership. Good luck I hope it works out for you and horsey. You sound very level headed and I think you sound ideal together.

merlin84

Visit site
Haha possibly too level- headed as I over-analyse every possibility and end up paralysed by indecision!

I also don’t want to get nervous and have that pass on to him so whichever decision I make, I need to find someone who can help us feel confident in one another rather than see that go backwards.

splashgirl45

Lurcher lover
Visit site
i would say get some lessons and see how it goes. you know the horse and like him so that is a good start ...as long as the instructor is happy that you will be able to cope then think about buying him BUT i would suggest you have him vetted before buying even though you know him . you need to be sure that you have a healthy horse so its worth getting the basics checked by a vet, heart , eyes, legs, feet etc.