Professional schooling

amzy

Visit site
Would this change a lazy, evasive, 9 year old horse into a willing, pleasurable ride? Anybody had any experiences of sending their horse away to be professionably schooled? My boys' history is unknown but I don't think he's done anything more than trekking.

Tierra

dressage.wordpress.com
I think much of this depends on where you send them to be honest... Also, whilst it can work miracles, you also have to consider your own ability.

I livery my horse with a very good dressage rider who takes in horses for schooling. She had one particular client who's horsey came and went quite regularly. The problem was that while my trainer worked wonders with him at getting him working correctly again, after a few weeks back with his owner, things would start to go wrong. He's now on livery with my trainer full time and his owner is having regular lessons and they're progressing very quickly.

Dont mean this to cause offense, its simply to point out that while professional riders can jump on and often make any horse look fantastic (and usually feel fantastic for the 10 minutes or so afterwards), until we (as the owners) change how we ride, the horse tends to just revert back.

I can always feel the difference after my trainer has been on my boy and I try to have her on him as much as is possible since it helps us both.

Id recommend finding a good trainer in whichever discipline you're interested in and having some lessons. Perhaps once you find someone you get along with and who's philosophies you agree with, you could then look at the option of putting the horse on schooling livery with them.

Good luck whatever you decide!

Toby_Zaphod

Visit site
Ditto Tierra, having a horse schooled is a good thing but once the schooling is over the owner/rider must continue the work, riding the horse very similarly to the rider who did the schooling. If you could do that then you'd have done the schooling yourself. Unless you have a lot of ability that isn't really going to happen. By far the best way is for you to have lessons on your horse from a quality instructor. That way you both you & the horse can be taught to ride & move correctly. It may take some time but the end result will be lasting & you will both learn loads. Good Luck
smile.gif

Bananaman

www.teamtorrent.co.uk
Echo the other two.
As the saying goes........If you do what you always did, you'll get what you always got!

In other words, in order to make a change, you need to change the way you do things.
Having said that, a week with your trainer could help kick start proceedings, no pun intended
blush.gif
, but then it's down to you to change also or things will very quickly revert.

Tufty

Visit site
Agree with the others you really have to work together - it would be far cheaper if you found yourself a goood flatwork teacher and take it from there, also one who is prepared to get on your horse each week. It is a slow process and does not happen overnight. Anyone who suggests you letting them train your horse for two weeks etc it will not benefit you in the long run as the horse will just be the same when it is returned to you. Whereabouts are you, maybe there is someone local to you that could help out.

amzy

Visit site
Thanks for your thoughts everyone. I was hoping that I could just send him away for a couple of weeks to learn basic stuff so he would be more responsive to my aids instead of being in the habit of just following other horses. It is really hard work to get him thinking for himself. Perhaps I shall just get an instructor in to help as you suggest then.