Professional to Re-back/bring on sympathetically?! SE

mega spoilt ponies

Visit site
My 4year old 17.1 KWPN is currently turned away for winter after having treatment on some physical issues that arose shortly after backing (kissing spine/hock & stifle effusion/pain and bilateral hind psd).

He will be ready to bring back into work in the new year and im considering utilising the services of a pro/semi-pro, perhaps event rider.

My issue is i have very clear ideas on the approach that i would like taken (no gadgets/ no taped shut mouth, turn out etc). I want it done slowly and sympathetically because he's my baby and im a softie!

Would love to hear anybodies recommendations for pro's that they know take a kind approach rather than the 'stick em in draw reins' and ignore what the horse is telling you approach which i see alot of and isnt my thing. (No im not a NH hippie either :) )

Based north london/south east

I.M.N.

Visit site
My issue is i have very clear ideas on the approach that i would like taken (no gadgets/ no taped shut mouth, turn out etc). I want it done slowly and sympathetically because he's my baby and im a softie!
I can't help you on recommendations, sorry. I just wanted to say that the above bit doesn't make you a softie, it means you have understanding of true horsemanship and the fact you felt like you had to explain/justify yourself is a very sad indictment of how far current equestrianism is from where it should be. Your boy is lucky to have you.

BethH

Visit site
Mark Boxall is might be worth a look. He is based in the South East/Kent. Has his own yard in Fawkham and runs the full livery yard at Speedgate. He seems to have a sympathetic approach and his yard always seems to have a waiting list, I have friends who are liveried there and they seem very happy with the help he has given them, although I think he probably charges quite a full price.

mega spoilt ponies

Visit site
I can't help you on recommendations, sorry. I just wanted to say that the above bit doesn't make you a softie, it means you have understanding of true horsemanship and the fact you felt like you had to explain/justify yourself is a very sad indictment of how far current equestrianism is from where it should be. Your boy is lucky to have you.

Thanks. I am just finding it very hard to come by professionals who are that way inclined in the SJ/eventing world. I would ideally like him bought back into work and got going again by a more talented rider than myself but one who understands the way I like to have him treated and handled and would respect that.

All that I am aware of in my surroundings are very traditional, after quick fixes and in some cases really quite horrid to the horses. I don't want him endlessly lunged or put on a walker in side reins, ridden in draw reins etc. Perhaps I am just far too jaded and seen too much to trust anybody!

Bernster

Visit site

Quite! Might be too far and I dont know him personally but have a look at shady horsemanship in Herts. Terrible name ! but I know a couple who have used him, def seems like a slower and more sympathetic approach.

Nicnac

Visit site
Sam Dempsey and Julia Longorini at D&L Performance Horses. http://www.dlphorses.com/sam-and-julia/

Near Swindon. Sam is an eventer and Julia a showjumper - not fluffy but very kind understanding approach.

Mark Boxall and Jason Webb are also excellent but maybe a bit too far if you want to be involved.

TGM

Visit site
Jason Webb in goudhurst has a good reputation

I have heard mixed things about Jason - some people I know who have used him sing his praises, but some people who I know and respect have been less than complimentary and claim to have witnessed him being less than sympathethic to the horses in some cases. But I suppose there are good and bad opinions about most trainers!

I do know a couple of people who have horses trained with Mark Boxall who is mentioned above, and they are very pleased with his approach. But have no personal knowledge of his methods.

Last edited:

Farma

Visit site
There is a girl called Paris Gainsford (PG eventing) who I know, I have seen her with loads of difficult horses and she is so calm and kind, I would definitely recommend her, based in Brentwood, Essex x

Lulup

Visit site
I can completely relate to your concerns and ended up taking my horse 200 miles away for schooling with a trusted friend as I am too suspicious about what goes on 'behind closed doors' in many yards. Just wanted to say that after many physical issues with young horse in recent years I have reached the conclusion (a little late maybe!) that the best thing for these young horses is a return to more traditional methods with a good few months of hacking before any work in the school is undertaken. Even after a few months holiday we start older horses with 4-6 weeks hacking yet these completely soft untouched babies are straight in the school on the lunge and then schooling. I was rather apprehensive about starting hacking on my just backed 4 year olds but with a sensible approach and suitable 'nanny' horse I am sold on it and I am hopeful it will lead to happier and sounder horses who will be more prepared in mind and body to start schooling in a few months time. Depends on your situation but with the physical issues your youngster has already had to overcome it could be a very worthwhile approach x