Progress of my little project mare

Wagtail

Horse servant
Visit site
Amazing difference in three weeks. If I were to criticize I would say that I would like to see her stretching more and ridden in less of an advanced outline at this stage. But well done you. I really like her.

digitalangel

Visit site
Thanks Wagtail :)

Shes not easy and we still get a bit of headshaking ( as can be seen in the vid ) but on the whole ive been working on getting her balanced up, she tends to run on and get faster and more out of balance and she *hates* her mouth to be fussed with - she needs to be ridden quietly, quietly.

Totally agree she needs to be ridden longer - have been working on that in walk, but conformation wise she has quite a short neck and hasnt really learned how to stretch ( i dont think ever ) so working on that in walk, and in trot working on getting her balanced and understanding theres no need to get scared and run on.

Ive got a video from when i first started working with her where you can see in walk she has a better frame eventually -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uFwSPfcfQ54

Shes *hard* work but she is going to be brilliant i think. Lovely paces, great overtrack in walk and scopey canter. Lots to like!

Would love to hear good advice for encouraging long and low with a short necked, whizzy horse. At the moment, longer reins in trot is go faster for her!

Chocy

Visit site
You can certainly see a difference in her in the two clips.

I agree she needs to work longer and lower. She looks a bit 'stuck' thro her neck and back and not tracking up properly.
Have u tried lowering your hands? So length on contact stays same with the hope her head will follow ure hands. I find getting out the saddle a wee bit at start helps them to loosen their backs.
Also lots of flexions every couple of strides outside & inside should help her to concentrate allow you to work her without running on. & a favourite of my instructor is on smallish circle exaggerate inside bend then ask for leg yield out to bigger circle- only very few steps at a time to start but I find it really gets the shoulders loosened.

scotlass

Visit site
She's lovely. Can't think why anyone would want to rip into you about her .. she's clearly made a lot of progress already judging by the two video clips. There's plenty indication that she will learn to soften .. noticeable in the 2nd video at around 1:30. Maybe a bit of give and re-take of the reins as in novice dressage and some work in the stable asking her to stretch for a treat. As you say, she's probably never been asked .. she may always just be a bit buzzy, but she'll get there.

digitalangel

Visit site
Thanks so much for the well thought-out replies.

Yes shes not forward in the later clip because thats whats causing her to run on and become unbalanced and head flip. First job was to save me getting smacked in the face and slow her down from the seat, very quiet hands ( can sponge but not move them much and i certainly cannot grab her mouth! ) get her to accept the leg ( does not mean pee off with me! ) and bend to the inside. If i have all those things, at least in walk and trot i know im going to be safe and not end up squished on the fence or a broken nose!

Slowly, slowly working on getting her calm and balanced, then slowly slowly introducing forwards bit by bit... and in walk working on the stretching down - she doesnt really get it though hah! As you can see from the 2nd vid i posted my arms are wide and my elbows almost straight, shes not really taking the contact forward down out yet.

give and take is a great idea - thank you! is is the stretches in the stable. Shes not ready for leg yielding yet, shes far too unbalanced still - but it will be something i hope to be able to do soon!

Have saddler coming this week and osteo booked - she had terrible feet when i got her - shes much more balanced up now but is unevenly muscled on her shoulders as a result :/

blitznbobs

Visit site
I'd teach her to leg yield. She needs something to think about rather than worrying so much. But she's doing ok at least she has rhythm now. I'd be stroking her neck ( just for a second.) every few strides too which helps them chill but also starts to get them used to the contact varying a bit but in a nice way. Also more transitions would be good to see within the pace preferably(micro transitions as I call them) This will help with resistance and lead to less tension and more stretching.

atlantis

equinetouchjo.wordpress.com
I agree more transitions. Checking brakes work and she responds to the forward aids. But mainly making her wait for you. I've been riding a mare that rushes and is funny in her mouth with the contact and can head shake at times. Making her wait for does her the world if good. Trot halt wait trot initially making it really obvious then getting the transitions between paces then within a pace. If I started within the pace she'd just lean and throw her head and run more as a resistance. Once she understood trot halt wait trot she was learning to wait for me before she went forwards and I was getting forwards transitions say trot walk I actually could put my leg on into the transition and think forwards. Then the transitions within the paces started to come. I didn't just do this in the school but out on hacks too. She is more relaxed on hacks.

She's beautiful and you're doing really well. Once she relaxes she should start to telescope her neck but it will take time. It's about accepting the bit not leaning on it or running from it.

Highlands

Visit site
Like her a lot, my highlands really fussy in mouth too, lots of stretches and relaxing of neck and she will be there! Your nice and quiet with her too!

digitalangel

Visit site
Thanks atlantis - yep she does tend to lean, then unbalance, then head flip. Asking for a downwards transision = head flip, but if i ride it with seat and voice, less of a head flip - and yes her teeth have been done, shes just untrusting of contact in her mouth.

SpringArising

Visit site
I like her!

I had the same 'issue' with a speedy youngster a few months back. I found it helped to quite literally rise and think in slow motion.

digitalangel

Visit site
yep a lot of that - riding from the seat really seems to work with her!! even got a trot/walk/halt the other day without a head flip but just using my seat and legs.

ihatework

Visit site
I wouldn't be rushing to get a true L&L from her just yet, she is to rushed/unbalanced at this stage and combined with he conformation she will just end up running and hollowing.

So keeping it slow and underpowered (like you are doing) is how I would stay for now. I would aim to drop her poll slightly lower if possible, you want to be aiming to stretch the area directly in front of her wither.

For now I would concentrate on suppleness. Lots of flexions, serpentines and I would also be introducing leg yield.

digitalangel

Visit site
Yep if you throw away the contact she goes faster and faster so im aiming to keep a quiet, still contact and like you say less power, to help her balance up. Am aiming to get a little more drop in the poll height, and getting her truly accepting the contact, shes such a buzzy little thing though but shes worth it!

Will try some leg yield once ive had the saddle redone and seen to by physio/osteo.

Thanks you guys are the best - glad you all like her! Supposed to be selling her in the spring but soooo tempted to keep her!

digitalangel

Visit site
I just wanted to update this thread and pick your collective brains a little!

Rode her tonight ( first time under lights, she was a star! ) and the biggest revelation i had was that in trot she is *much much* more balanced going sitting for around the first 20 mins. After doing a good 10-15 mins of warmup in walk even trotting large produced much headflipping, running on and legs everywhere. Back to walk and asked again in sitting trot and much better! Stayed in sitting trot for a good 10 mins before going rising again and she was better.

Still SO much to work on but shes lovely and balanced up in walk. but trot is still so unbalanced at times. We did a little bit of leg yield and she was good!

but really weirded out about the sitting trot thing - am i right in thinking its a saddle thing?

PorkChop

Visit site
Could be the saddle, or it could be that your hands are stiller when you sit to the trot.

You have made a big improvement, lucky horse :)

digitalangel

Visit site
luckily i find her sitting trot every so comfortable - could do it all day on her not like my bouncy WB!

I find her equally frustrating as all hell, but also so rewarding - shes picking things up very quickly and is honest as the day is long. shes not bucked, reared, run backwards proper bolted, or really had a nasty thought and i know shes finding this hard!

digitalangel

Visit site
Just a quick pic because i think shes such a pretty girl.

10250193_10152333716921246_5847753740707321810_n.jpg