Project Horse / Broodmare / Companion?

vonno

www.celticqh.com
Any suggestions as to what would be the best for a 3 year old filly?
She is a well bred reg'd appaloosa (with a long mane!) but when she moves has an inward fetlock deviation although she has always been sound. Also, she has bitten twice - we did later find out that she had problems with her teeth and was in pain, so is much sweeter though as she still can make faces needs an experienced handler.
On the plus side she is laid back, good to catch, load, farrier, dentist etc.
Someone has suggested I breed from her as neither of her parents have this problem, however I'm not sure I'm willing to take the risk.
Another option would to loan her for embryo transfer, but I don't know if she would be suitable as she hasn't been bred yet.
She could be used as a companion, but it seems a shame to give up on her at such a young age and I already have a 10 year old who injured himself as a foal and can't be ridden.
Anyone got any ideas or would a site like Project Horses be worth a go.

AndyPandy

Visit site
I'd say that the deviation would rule her out as a broodmare, so you're right to not take the risk. How tall is she? Most places won't take mares under 16.2hh as recipients, and the fact that she has no fertility record might be a problem.

Sorry for the doom and gloom, but it's a difficult one
smile.gif
Good luck!

appyjude

Visit site
What's the breeding - you can PM me if you want. Project Horses are more likely to take on behavioural issues and from what you say she sounds hormonal more than anything. WIth the deviation that would be a point of weakness so putting her in a situation where she might be worked regardless might be an issue.........

J

vonno

www.celticqh.com
Thanks both of you. She should mature around 15-15.1. I didn't realise recipient mares had to be that big. Appyjude, I'll pm you with her breeding. I also posted this on New Lounge and have copied my reply below:

Thanks for all your replies. At the moment I have some extra land, so keeping her this year is certainly not a problem. Maybe I will try some work with her. Soundness is not a problem now, but don't know if long term she will stand up to it (Ouija Board, it is like an inward dish but quite pronounced). I bred her myself but wouldn't sell her because of these issues, if she was to go to another home it would be on a loan basis.
I think the temperament is perhaps even habit now - she is not biting, just pinning her ears, so I stand next to her until they are forward again. As I mentioned she was in pain with her teeth, but this has been sorted and the dentist checks her regularly which she is fine with. (It was the farrier she bit both times! and he's been doing her since she was a baby).
Anyway, will def not breed from her, - I haven't bred the dam since either, so really don't know why I even considered it when it was suggested to me. Think I was just at a loss as what to do with her.
I won't be putting her to sleep as she is fit, healthy and happy - currently out with other horses 24/7.
Looks like I may just end up with another babysitter!