Project Horse/Racehorse Rehoming

Visit site
Hi all!
I've recently retired my mare so she can be a full time mummy and I'm looking for a new project horse to get to work on and enjoy! I've had a look on some websites, but even though the market is dire some people still seem to want to sell nothing for something. The project horses website is a prime example of this, people wanting like 3 grand for something that they're calling a project, just so illogical. So basically, looking for ideas on where to look. I'd love to rehome a horse but even the charities are asking for money I just can't afford at the moment. I have my own paddock with a field shelter that I'm currently converting into 2 stables and have the income to look after a horse monthly, it's just upcoming stud fees and vet bills for my mare that are costing me. Anyone got any hints on where to look?

JennieRose

unabridgedopinions.com
Have you looked at/are you interested in just off the track horses? I picked up my mare for a very reasonable price as I went directly through a trainer. She's been a little gem so far! (I'm in Manchester...)

Visit site
yeah, just off the track would be fab. I'm more than happy to do all the retraining myself, in fact I'd probably enjoy it more! Do you have any contacts I could try? Thank you!!

McNally

Visit site
I'm located in Macclesfield, Cheshire. Please say that helps!

Umm, Not really sorry! I'm in Gloucestershire - I mean i suppose its up to you how far you want to travel?
One thing i would say (which i didnt realize before buying mine!) is that now i work on racing yards i know that lots of horses who retire thru injury or what ever are just rehomed for free. Usually yard staff get first offer then one trainer had a list of people who had just randomly rang and asked if anything was available if there was nothing at the time he kept details and called when there was.
Its definitely well worth asking round at more local racing yards if they have anything needing a home.

Visit site
Ahh thanks guys, I'll get on this. I applied to darley just before christmas, yet to hear anything back though, and i'll try and get hold of a few racing yard round near me and ask them. Thank you, I'll keep you posted!

Visit site
I've looked at tom dascombe before, he send horses of to a rehoming place, but I have contacted said place and the lady there has said she'll email me if she gets anything in. Just emailed mccain and lisa now. Thank you guys!!

photo_jo

Visit site
There is also Jennie Candlish the other side of Leek and Richard Ford-his gallops are the ones you can see by the M6 at junction 15