Prop Shaft

Sparklet

Visit site
Right then fellow amateur mechanics - need some advice.

Set off for lesson yesterday and the lorry had a rythmic knocking sound. It only happens when the wheels are turning and gets faster the faster the lorry goes. Immediately turned round and went back to the yard abandoning the lesson.

Rang my mechanic chap and he said it sounds like the prop shaft, which is the long turny thing under the lorry isnt it? Said I have to take it in to be mended about 10 miles away and I should be okay if I take it steady
shocked.gif

Does anyone know what could be wrong with the prop shaft and will it be a really expensive job. My mechanic man is based at a breakers yard so does use second hand parts so is usually cheaper than normal mechanics. The lorry is a leyland DAF so is pretty common for spares too.

Any info?

Alibear

Visit site
Not much help but to have the prop shaft replaced on my Landrover Discovery (with a second hand one) was £250 if that's any help.

Sparklet

Visit site
Oh knew it would help to post asking for info....right then, can I ask you a couple more questions?

Why did you have to have it replaced? i.e. what type of noise or effect was it having on the car. Secondly could it still be driven (v worried about the 10 mile drive), worried it will seize or fall off)

juliebrewer

Visit site
probably not much help either BUT, my prop shaft went on my land rover and part fell off. Took it off completely and carried on driving as it had 4 wheel drive on it. most likely the U joint gone which is quite simple. It is ware and tear as they don't last forever!! You might be ok driving it (do you have good breakdown cover)! Should'nt cost too much especially if second hand..

pathelschoice

Visit site
hi, usually prop shaft problems are either - wear and tear or we have found with some lorries that the build on the chassis / weight distribution can affect the operation of the prop shaft and it may just need "re-aligning" - i am trying here to use laymens terms for you- its fairly inexpensive to get the prop shaft done and no it wont drop off but the vibration doesnt do the vehicle much good, if you take it easy driving there is will be OK

the watcher

Visit site
It isn't the prop shaft so much, but the joints at each end of it that are likely to fail, in my experience. How heavy is your lorry? If the prop falls off halfway you will have an interesting challenge and you may struggle to tow it if it goes that far.

I think it is worth you mechanic having a quick look at it before it goes anywhere, just to be on the safe side

Sparklet

Visit site
Thanks thats very reassuring - will not be popular with the rush hour traffic but will take it really steady. I do have breakdown cover so apart from the prospect of hanging about at the side of the road I am not too worried about being stranded.

Thanks for the laymans terms and I sort of know what you mean about re-alligning. Like most horse lorries the offside carries more weight (horse bottom side) so it does have a slight tilt when loaded. Perhaps that hasnt helped.

ps - you have some lovely lorries on your website..if the probelm is fatal I know where to come
wink.gif

pathelschoice

Visit site
i shouldnt think it will be fatal, its very easy to remedy so dont worry, i would just get a mechanic to check it is ok to drive though and if it cant be the prop shaft can be removed and taken away to be set up properly and then put back on its not a massive job, BTW thank you for the lovely comment about our lorries x

Toby_Zaphod

Visit site
Yes...'The long turny thing under the lorry' will be out of balance & that is why it will be knocking. The pro shaft will probably be all right, it will be the universal joints on each end that will have worn out. When they've worn badly, which happens over time & can't be helped, the prop wobbles badly rather than spinning true. That's where the knocking comes from

It's a horrible job to do because everything seizes up under the lorry in the wet etc over the years & unfortunately I can't help you with the cost.
frown.gif