Proper lockdown

Upthecreek

Visit site
For everyone whinging and whining about the current restrictions and trying to find ways to circumvent them........ for all those moaning because they can’t ride at all, can’t ride as much as they want to, can’t ride where they usually ride, can’t spend as much time with their horses as they would like.

Spare a thought for me and thousands of others like me who have received ‘the letter’ from the NHS. I cannot leave my house for 12 weeks or have face to face contact with anyone but the people I live with. I should maintain a distance from my family members of 2 metres in my home. I should use a separate bathroom and sleep in a separate bed from my husband.

This has put things into perspective, for me at least. Yes I miss my horses and the thought of not seeing them or riding for 12 weeks is almost unbearable. But I cannot imagine what it will be like being completely isolated from the outside world and all human contact.

So for anyone feeling hard done by because you can’t carry out your usual activities at the moment, please be sensitive.

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
it's terrible for everyone. i do think people need to be permitted to vent their frustrations without being told off, it's still valid to feel like crap even if other people have it worse - it was ever thus. Anyway.

My parents have the letter too. I've been running around twice as much because they can't get food or medicines delivered, everything they had booked has been cancelled without any explanation. It's all awful, in different ways. My mum's in bits because I can only drop off stuff at the garden gate. I know she feels very isolated. I'm still working full time , so glad to receive my wage as normal (one less stress) but its difficult getting time to do their errands. in theory I can use the NHS shopping slots because we have permits sent via work but they fall within my key working hours. hey ho.

Hope you have someone who can get your supplies. It's a weird time.

southerncomfort

Visit site
Dr and asthma nurse are currently contemplating upping my inhaler prescription as I've had a flare up.

If they do, I'll get the letter too.

Still don't mind people venting and letting off steam. These are tough times, we all need to be a bit kinder and more tolerant of others or it's going to be a very long few weeks.

It is what it is, no point getting upset with each other.

Take care of yourself.

Parrotperson

Visit site
For everyone whinging and whining about the current restrictions and trying to find ways to circumvent them........ for all those moaning because they can’t ride at all, can’t ride as much as they want to, can’t ride where they usually ride, can’t spend as much time with their horses as they would like.

Spare a thought for me and thousands of others like me who have received ‘the letter’ from the NHS. I cannot leave my house for 12 weeks or have face to face contact with anyone but the people I live with. I should maintain a distance from my family members of 2 metres in my home. I should use a separate bathroom and sleep in a separate bed from my husband.

This has put things into perspective, for me at least. Yes I miss my horses and the thought of not seeing them or riding for 12 weeks is almost unbearable. But I cannot imagine what it will be like being completely isolated from the outside world and all human contact.

So for anyone feeling hard done by because you can’t carry out your usual activities at the moment, please be sensitive.

same here. separate bedrooms. we only have one bathroom so that's interesting. plus separate cutlery, plates etc. not even supposed to eat meals in the same room. so yeh. stop moaning!

Upthecreek

Visit site
Milliepops I completely agree it is terrible for everyone, I just wanted to point out that there are worse things than having your horse-related activities restricted and I hope people will be sensitive to that.

My parents are in the same situation as yours and now I can’t shop for them or collect prescriptions I am really worried about how they will manage. I haven’t been seeing them but dropping the stuff they need on the door step. It’s heartbreaking. All the best to you and yours.

Skib

sites.google.com
My parents have the letter too.It's all awful, in different ways. My mum's in bits because I can only drop off stuff at the garden gate.

Do your Mum and Dad have internet and go on line? She may like the video by Mel Brooks' son avoiding meeting his father except through a glass window. Message why the elderly need to stay separated.

Silver Clouds

Visit site
I have had the letter too, and at any other time it would have been relatively easy for me to properly isolate but coronavirus has stalled my house purchase (I was due to move in next week), so as my tenancy was running out I have had to move back in with family. The three others in the house are all still going out to work (one in healthcare), so despite avoiding being in the same room as them I am aware that they touch everything (and I have yet to see my dad wash his hands at all). I would be far less concerned if I was actually living on my own, but moving house is banned as of this morning, so I am stuck. I am still going to the horses though as I have no alternative way for them to be cared for (moving back to my parents has meant moving areas, and since I moved two weeks ago I've been on lockdown so no chance to meet any horsey locals), but there is no one else there so no danger of coming into contact with the virus (unlike at home).

I know what you mean OP about others not realising how serious it is for some of us, especially as I am stuck living in a house with someone who insists no one can 'make' him change his routine, and it's 'probably all a fuss about nothing'. He also constantly complains that the shops are shut/he can't go on holiday/his gardener will no longer be working, whereas I am worried that if I catch it I will most likely die (according to my consultant).

I am keeping to the advice and not being in the same room as others, washing hands constantly, using separate dishes and towels etc, and haven't seen another human (other than the three I live with) for nearly two weeks, so I am hopeful that I will escape infection. On the downside I may end up killing one or more of my relatives...

Good luck to everyone else stuck in this situation, it is hard work and lonely. Hopefully we will return to 'normal' before too long (I sincerely hope so).

DabDab

Ah mud, splendid
Visit site
Milliepops I completely agree it is terrible for everyone, I just wanted to point out that there are worse things than having your horse-related activities restricted and I hope people will be sensitive to that.

Sensitive how? What things are you seeing that you think are insensitive?

I'm sorry you're stuck so isolated by this thing. If at some point you need any extra help let us know xx

Michen

Visit site
Sorry but it's not a case of someone else is worse off. There are worse things than being shut in your house for 12 weeks too (I am not saying that's not awful btw, and am so sorry re your situation

Everything is relative, we all have our own struggles. Some of us have different coping abilities to others. For some, their horses are an absolute lifeline and seeing them would be more essential than seeing a single other human being.

I'm fed up with this "oh but my situation is so much worse than yours" attitude... there will ALWAYS be someone worse off than you. We all need to be mindful and sensitive to everyone and every situation.

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
Sorry but it's not a case of someone else is worse off. There are worse things than being shut in your house for 12 weeks too (I am not saying that's not awful btw, and am so sorry re your situation

Everything is relative, we all have our own struggles. Some of us have different coping abilities to others. For some, their horses are an absolute lifeline and seeing them would be more essential than seeing a single other human being.

I'm fed up with this "oh but my situation is so much worse than yours" attitude... there will ALWAYS be someone worse off than you. We all need to be mindful and sensitive to everyone and every situation.
at the risk of another thread going nuclear, this is why people need to be able to vent I think, without being told their troubles are not valid.
Anyone can always be worse off. You could be trying to hide from coronavirus in a migrant camp. But it's still valid to feel shite about being stuck at home, as you say, all relative. I agree with the PP that said it's going to be a very stressful time and we should try to be tolerant, hard as that is when everything is so fraught.

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
I didn't think there was a whose situation is worse competition. Everyone's feelings are valid. A lot of people have additional reasons they are struggling. IME telling people 'well at least you are not XYZ' is not particularly helpful to them or anyone else.

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
I have had the letter too, and at any other time it would have been relatively easy for me to properly isolate but coronavirus has stalled my house purchase (I was due to move in next week), so as my tenancy was running out I have had to move back in with family. The three others in the house are all still going out to work (one in healthcare), so despite avoiding being in the same room as them I am aware that they touch everything (and I have yet to see my dad wash his hands at all). I would be far less concerned if I was actually living on my own, but moving house is banned as of this morning, so I am stuck. I am still going to the horses though as I have no alternative way for them to be cared for (moving back to my parents has meant moving areas, and since I moved two weeks ago I've been on lockdown so no chance to meet any horsey locals), but there is no one else there so no danger of coming into contact with the virus (unlike at home).

I know what you mean OP about others not realising how serious it is for some of us, especially as I am stuck living in a house with someone who insists no one can 'make' him change his routine, and it's 'probably all a fuss about nothing'. He also constantly complains that the shops are shut/he can't go on holiday/his gardener will no longer be working, whereas I am worried that if I catch it I will most likely die (according to my consultant).

I am keeping to the advice and not being in the same room as others, washing hands constantly, using separate dishes and towels etc, and haven't seen another human (other than the three I live with) for nearly two weeks, so I am hopeful that I will escape infection. On the downside I may end up killing one or more of my relatives...

Good luck to everyone else stuck in this situation, it is hard work and lonely. Hopefully we will return to 'normal' before too long (I sincerely hope so).

That situation sounds dire! Could you not be considered one of the exceptional cases, as far as your house purchase is concerned? I would have thought that the ability to self-isolate would have been quite important, although if there is a chain, I can see that could be aproblem

Silver Clouds

Visit site
That situation sounds dire! Could you not be considered one of the exceptional cases, as far as your house purchase is concerned? I would have thought that the ability to self-isolate would have been quite important, although if there is a chain, I can see that could be aproblem

The situation isn't great, and I honestly think it will result in my estranging myself from the family when this all ends (there have been other issues over the years, but this is the final straw). My solicitor says there's no way forward at the moment, and the vendors would also need to move out which wouldn't be allowed. I have looked to see if there is anywhere local to rent temporarily, but (understandably) the market has come to a standstill.

I do realise that there are people worse off, and I am grateful that I have someone to collect food and medication for me. I didn't mean to post as a moan, more to sympathise with others in this situation, and I now realise I just needed to vent a bit out of frustration. In my case it is annoying being stuck with someone who can't see the bigger picture, and isn't prepared to inconvenience themselves in the short term for the greater good.

People on here are very supportive though, and it's great to have someone to talk to!

poiuytrewq

Visit site
Sorry for your situ op :(
I can’t really see how moving house would be possible right now anyway even if rushing things through were possible or finding a small rental was possible. Simply the logistics of a house move would be a nightmare. :(

Wheels

Visit site

Sorry that you are in this situation.

Us too! my husbands medical team told him early last week to self isolate for at least 3 months and that I should too to protect him. Apart from one trip to the supermarket for the essential basics I have seen nobody. Different bed rooms, different bathrooms, different meal times. We are a week and a half in so it's not too bad.

There are many thousands of us in this situation although you seem a little anxious about self isolation but it's not too bad as you think. It is a necessary evil so the quicker you learn to deal with it the better.

good luck

Upthecreek

Visit site
I started this thread because in my opinion it may not be appropriate at present to be moaning and complaining about our horse-related activities being affected by the restrictions imposed this week (and lots of people have been). The point of the post was certainly not to get into a competition of who is worse off or in anyway say that my situation is worse than anyone else’s. It was simply to say that in my opinion, when our country is in a crisis situation, there may be other things more important than not being able to ride or spend time with our horses so I personally would appreciate people being sensitive to that.

Of course everyone is entitled to have their say and vent or whatever they need to do, but I am just asking that people be considerate. I can’t even think of my horses without crying at the moment because I haven’t seen them for 2 weeks and as of today I know I won’t see them for another 12 weeks.

Wheels

Visit site
But are you wanting everyone else to not see their horses because you can"t? Or just not talk about them being upset because you are upset?

I'm sorry I dont really know what you are trying to get at. This is a horse forum where we all love our horses so of course people are going to vent their frustrations about not being able to see and ride their horses.

You have just vented, only fair to allow others to do so.

Visit site
I started this thread because in my opinion it may not be appropriate at present to be moaning and complaining about our horse-related activities being affected by the restrictions imposed this week (and lots of people have been). The point of the post was certainly not to get into a competition of who is worse off or in anyway say that my situation is worse than anyone else’s. It was simply to say that in my opinion, when our country is in a crisis situation, there may be other things more important than not being able to ride or spend time with our horses so I personally would appreciate people being sensitive to that.

Of course everyone is entitled to have their say and vent or whatever they need to do, but I am just asking that people be considerate. I can’t even think of my horses without crying at the moment because I haven’t seen them for 2 weeks and as of today I know I won’t see them for another 12 weeks.

So saying you can't see your horses for 12 weeks somehow isn't moaning about horse-related activities being affected is it?!?!!?

Upthecreek

Visit site
No of course I don’t want other people not to see their horses because I can’t. What I want is for people to adhere to the restrictions that have been imposed for the safety of everyone and not complain that they are wrong or unfair or try to find ways of circumventing them. I appreciate people need to provide essential care for their horses but many are not adhering to the restriction to keep time away from the home as short at possible.

Wheels

Visit site
I haven't seen much evidence of that on here if I'm honest with you. Must be looking at different threads??

Michen

Visit site
No of course I don’t want other people not to see their horses because I can’t. What I want is for people to adhere to the restrictions that have been imposed for the safety of everyone and not complain that they are wrong or unfair or try to find ways of circumventing them. I appreciate people need to provide essential care for their horses but many are not adhering to the restriction to keep time away from the home as short at possible.

That is not at all what your original post was about.

Upthecreek

Visit site
That is not at all what your original post was about.

Wasn’t it? I think it was about people’s reactions to the restrictions, but obviously other things have come up in people’s responses. Anyhow, lesson learned, I will never post anything again other than on a subject directly related to horses and riding. Stay safe all.