Proper pants day?

Peregrine Falcon

Looking forward to drier days
Visit site
I suspect my old boy has a touch of laminitis. Vet and farrier called. In on deep bed and bute.

Also then get a message from friend who I sold a pony to years ago asking if I want to go and see her and she's come down with it again (EMS sufferer).

I've never had one with it before and have always said quality of life will come first. Feeling very upset.

splashgirl45

Lurcher lover
Visit site
mine had cushings and had never had laminitis and when she became a bit pottery vet thought she was borderline laminitis , leahurst had said the cushings was not going to be controlled by upping the tablets as she was already on 4 per day, i made the decision to PTS rather than keeping her in the stable, she was 25..

JJS

Visit site
That sounds like a truly sucky day, OP! Fingers crossed he comes right quickly. If it is laminitis, at least it sounds like you've been on the ball and spotted it quickly. I sometimes think these old ponies just like to keep us on our toes!

splashgirl45

Lurcher lover
Visit site
thats why i posted so you could see how i tackled the laminitis threat....i have never regretted that decision as i know she would have been very stressed staying in the stable all of the time and at her age there was little chance of her having a normal life. hope yours doesnt come to that , mine had the cushings to blame and its not curable so that why i was quick to decide. fingers crossed you can get away with a shirt spell in and then back to normal

eahotson

Visit site
mine had cushings and had never had laminitis and when she became a bit pottery vet thought she was borderline laminitis , leahurst had said the cushings was not going to be controlled by upping the tablets as she was already on 4 per day, i made the decision to PTS rather than keeping her in the stable, she was 25..
well done.

scruffyponies

Visit site
I'll head that way too splashgirl. I owe him to give him the best life possible and for him, that's living out. If not then I'll do the honourable thing. Had 27 years of great friendship so far from when I had him as a yearling.

This would be me too. Not fair to bring them in when they've spent their life out, and likely to cause more problems than it solved.
Hope you caught it early enough and he comes right. That's a long time to have a friend.

oldie48

Visit site
My old boy had cushings which was really well controlled with prascend but I also made the decision to PTS if he had laminitis and was unable to live a normal life out in the field. I was lucky in some respects that he was able to live pretty much the same as my other horses and was never laminitic but sadly lost him to colic (suspected lipoma strangulation) which was pretty dreadful. I'm sorry to hear about your old boy, I hope it's not lami and if it is, that it is easily manageable but sadly we never seem to find our old horses in the field having passed quietly. Sending a hug!

Shilasdair

Patting her thylacine
Visit site
Don't give up!
I have managed to keep my girl out through laminitis recovery (she won't/can't cope with box rest), and she's doing well (judging from the rude bouncing and prancing when I turned her back out from a vet visit today, anyway :D).
Easyboot Clouds with nice soft pads, restrict the area they are in so they can't eat grass - and then diet/treat them as you would if stabled. Less stress for them and you.
ETA - Mine has EMS too.