Pros & Cons - Trailer test or 3.5 ton lorry? (also in CR)

viceversa

Visit site
Currently trying to weigh up some pros and cons! Any opinions gratefully received! :)

I own a trailer but rely on my dad towing it whenever I want to go anywhere. I hate having to rely on people and it's just not practical so for a while I have been saving up so I can transport myself somehow!

Initially I was thinking of getting a 3.5 ton lorry which I can drive on my car licence. I have been looking at ones £3000 - £5000, however these all tend to be pretty old / high mileage, although a few look decent. I'm not bothered about anything flashy looking but want it to be reliable! I need to look into how much it would cost me to tax/insure, but it would mean I would keep my small economical car for commuting etc. The only thing is on some adverts they say 'would carry 2 x 15.2 / 16hh horses'. Does this sound right? My horse is only 15hh but would like the option of carrying something up to 16.2 ideally.

Another option is for me to take a trailer test, which appears to be about £800 for a 3 day course and test. However I would then have to take on my dads 4x4, with higher insurance, and much less economical. However I wouldn't have the upkeep costs with the trailer which I would have with a lorry.

I guess another option would be to take a test to drive a 7.5 ton lorry, although I can't see any real advantage with this, other than being able to get a better lorry for your money than the 3.5 ton, as the 3.5 seem to command a really high price as everyone can drive them.

Many thanks if you have read my musings! Any suggestions about which would possibly be cheapest / most suitable would be really appreciated!! :)

hnmisty

Visit site
I would work out which would be cheaper.

Would it be cheaper to take the test and pay the extra insurance to be able to use your dad's car...(especially as you already have the trailer)

Or buy a second vehicle which will need MOTs, insurance, more expensive repairs/maintenance?

And then I'd go with that option!

china

Visit site
I have done both. I did my trailer test first and have had a 4x4 and trailer for a while but a couple of months ago I bought a 3.5 box and sold my trailer and will be selling my 4x4. For a decent 3.5t box you will be looking at spending about about 8k and above. I spent 10k and mine is an xreg with 114k miles on the clock. I didn't change for cost, I changed purely because I go out so much and I hated towing the trailer and great distance. The box is like driving a car round town, its very easy! You do ovb have double insurance, tax, mot, fuel and break down cost! They both have their advantages and disadvantages and I don't think there's a huge amount in cost, my box is more economic than my car though!

khalswitz

Visit site
I'm making the same decision at the moment, although minus the 4x4 and trailer to start with - so just deciding which is cheaper! Personally, the 3.5ton box works out cheaper for me, even having to save the money to get a decent one works out cheaper than buying even an old 4x4 and trailer and insuring and running them. However as you already have the car and trailer to hand that may work out cheaper for you...

viceversa

Visit site
Thanks for your input everyone :)
Yes I do have car and trailer already, although would possibly have to look to upgrade trailer soon. I've been quoted £1100 for insurance on the 4x4, whereas I pay £700 on my little 1 litre runabout, and the 4x4 is 2.5 litre petrol so would be somewhat less economical for getting to work etc! So I'm very undecided what will work out cheaper in the long run!

curio

Visit site
i run a 3.5t box as my daily transport, for the horse, getting his bedding etc, and for moving dogs around for my business and its much cheaper than running a car or a small van for insurance for example - car insurance quotes for me started at £500 , i had a 1litre diahatsu hi jet van insurance was £600 horsebox insurace is £200 for two named drivers with business use others were me only SDP only and because its not stood for long periods of time it hardly needs repairs and economic on diesel too