Pros & Cons - Trailer test or 3.5 ton lorry? (also in TR)

viceversa

Visit site
Currently trying to weigh up some pros and cons! Any opinions gratefully received! :)

I own a trailer but rely on my dad towing it whenever I want to go anywhere. I hate having to rely on people and it's just not practical so for a while I have been saving up so I can transport myself somehow!

Initially I was thinking of getting a 3.5 ton lorry which I can drive on my car licence. I have been looking at ones £3000 - £5000, however these all tend to be pretty old / high mileage, although a few look decent. I'm not bothered about anything flashy looking but want it to be reliable! I need to look into how much it would cost me to tax/insure, but it would mean I would keep my small economical car for commuting etc. The only thing is on some adverts they say 'would carry 2 x 15.2 / 16hh horses'. Does this sound right? My horse is only 15hh but would like the option of carrying something up to 16.2 ideally.

Another option is for me to take a trailer test, which appears to be about £800 for a 3 day course and test. However I would then have to take on my dads 4x4, with higher insurance, and much less economical. However I wouldn't have the upkeep costs with the trailer which I would have with a lorry.

I guess another option would be to take a test to drive a 7.5 ton lorry, although I can't see any real advantage with this, other than being able to get a better lorry for your money than the 3.5 ton, as the 3.5 seem to command a really high price as everyone can drive them.

Many thanks if you have read my musings! Any suggestions about which would possibly be cheapest / most suitable would be really appreciated!! :)

Vodkagirly

Visit site
You can carry a 16.2hh in a 3.5 but due to weight not 2 (there often is the space)
Trailer test would mean you could carry 2, but would need a beefy 4x4.
What works for you deends on how many you need to travel and how many non towing miles your looking at.

ROG

Visit site
Would it really be that much to be a named driver on your dads 4x4 policy ?

If you get on dads policy then you can drive with L plates and have dad supervising which would then mean less time needed for B+E training so less cost

See post number 1000 of the HHO TOWING CLINIC thread = link below

sam-b

Visit site
I weighed all this up and went for the 3.5t option... Costs next tho nothing, horse travels well, drives like as car, happy days!

Muddyboots

Visit site
Would it really be that much to be a named driver on your dads 4x4 policy ?

If you get on dads policy then you can drive with L plates and have dad supervising which would then mean less time needed for B+E training so less cost

See post number 1000 of the HHO TOWING CLINIC thread = link below

ROG, I thought no a days, the person you are sat with has to have done the B+E test - it can't just be some who get their licence pre 1997??

wench

Visit site
If money was no option... I'd have a nice newish 3.5t job. Friend has just got one, and it's great. However I will have to stick to my 1975 trailer, and saving up for a towing vehicle!

Llanali

Visit site
^ no. They must have taken the test to supervise driving a 7.5 or HGV obviously but grandfather rights are still acceptable to supervise for towing.

As above- I'd go for a 3.5t if you want to drive 1, and tow if you want 2.

To be honest, a course and 7.5t license was £1100 when I looked into it- for the difference between the towing test I'd just do the lorry one. Likewise if you wanted the HGV is comparatively not much more.

I'd tow supervised for a while, then get say 2-4 hours tuition and do test, and later spend my money on a 7.5t test if it was me.

Leg_end

Visit site
I've had both and much prefer driving the lorry. If you can afford it I'd go for the lorry every time.

wench

Visit site
^ no. They must have taken the test to supervise driving a 7.5 or HGV obviously but grandfather rights are still acceptable to supervise for towing.

As above- I'd go for a 3.5t if you want to drive 1, and tow if you want 2.

To be honest, a course and 7.5t license was £1100 when I looked into it- for the difference between the towing test I'd just do the lorry one. Likewise if you wanted the HGV is comparatively not much more.

I'd tow supervised for a while, then get say 2-4 hours tuition and do test, and later spend my money on a 7.5t test if it was me.

But then you have to bare in mind which is most appropriate to your situation - as you can do the Cat C driving licence, but this doesn't give you the rights to tow a trailer!

Llanali

Visit site
No, hence my suggestion to do both- in your own time. Ie trailer but do it slowly with a little help not a full on £800 course, and use the 800- 1100 later for a lorry course. Then you would have flexibility, be a named driver on the 4x4 and keep your Economical car, and then long term get a lorry you can take two in and get more bang for your buck, and still keep small car.

Llanali

Visit site
I do agree though that it needs to be what suits you- the above plan is what I would do as I do high miles in my car, had a trailer and 4x4 I could access, needed time to save for lorry test as I prefer horsebox to trailer and want to take more than one sometimes.

mischamoo

Visit site
I've just recently had this conumdrum and in the end I went for a 4x4 and trailer option!

I commute by train so don't do high mileage so could reasonably afford a fairly large juicy 4x4 as I don't do a lot of miles each day, I also wanted the option of carrying two decent sized horses which the 3.5t couldnt justify safely.

It also works out cheaper for me to run the 4x4 and trailer option then running what was my mini cooper at the time and all the costs coming with that plus another vehicle and all costs like the 7.5t or 3.5t option would offer. My mum sits in with me while I tow my trailer with L plates as I don't yet have my licence but the practice is doing me the world of good before I head off to take my test. !
Good luck in what you decide!

ROG

Visit site
Another thing to consider if only a B licence is held at the moment ....

With some private practice the B+E training and test can be done in one day so the cost is relatively small compared to doing the LGV
The B+E then lasts for as long as the B licence is valid so generally for life

LGV requires medicals every 5 years - self certifying under age 45 then with a doctor after age 45 at £50+ a time
Every year from age 65

LGV also requires theory tests and probably around £1000 for training and test

wench

Visit site
I spent around £1k to get my B+E. However, most of this was on reversing practice with a driving instructor, as I had never reversed a trailer before. Also failed the first test.

MissSBird

Visit site
Facing up to this decision right now myself. OP I would go and take a look at a few 3.5 lorries on the market that are within budget, so you can get a feel for what's out there and if you are happy for your horse to travel in one of them. Some of the older ones are a bit scary.

That way you'll know if the 3.5 is really an option before committing either way.

Taffieboy1

Visit site
Deff the 3.5T option.

There v easy to drive, nice & compact too.
No hassle reversing or getting in & out of tight spots, when some idiot has parked on top of you.
IMO think they are a much more solid comfy ride for Horse/Pony too.

Llanali

Visit site
Where as I drove supervised for a few months, practised reversing in empty country pub car parks (with permission!) and village hall car parks, failed once and passé second time. Total outlay (£230.

My local B+E instructor was £100 for two hours, so I thought about a 2 hour lesson to brush up reversing before test, but as test was only 115, I thought I'd just have a crack at it as at least if I failed I'd know exactly what needed work etc.

Each to their own though :)

viceversa

Visit site
Wow, thanks for all the info everybody - very helpful! As mentioned, I think I'll have to go and look at a few 3.5 tons to get a feel for the ones within my limited budget. From looking at adverts, I prefer the ones which are rear load and front unload. Some of the side load/unload ones dont look inviting at all and I would hate to get one and not be able to get my horse inside! Also didnt realise I could practice in trailer on L plates - if I could do that and just do a short course I bet that would work out much cheaper!
Thanks again :)