Prostaglandin Question

Rollin

Visit site
In 2005 I sent two mares to stud in the UK for AI. After 3 cycles for one and 4 for another and £thousands in vet bills I had two empty mares. So we bought a stallion and bred and graded another. Neither one has failed to put a mare in foal first cycle, nor another stallion we used in France, for covering in hand. I said I would never use AI again BUT.

I cannot breed one of my Cleveland Bay mares to her own sire and have the last semen available for two superb CB stallions now dead. I bought it years ago.

I sent two mares to stud at a very good centre in Normandy. Both had fluid in the uterus after insemmination and both now empty. The CB mare came into season twice before we sent her away but did not stay in season. The centre in Normandy decided to give her Prostaglandin, insemminated her and then told me her cervix was closed at the time - but she did ovulate!! (Deja Vue something very similar happened in the UK in 2005).

They both have small follicles and I am asked if I want them to inject with Prostaglandin again. My own feeling is (based on no science whatsoever but knowing my mares) that left alone they will both come into season naturally in the next week. What are the pros and cons of Prostaglandin?

tristar

Visit site
personally i would let nature take its course,and with all mares who have failed to get in foal early in the year i would try july august and even sept in preference to earlier.

with your experience follow your gut

which centre did you use before, was it le merlerault?