PRP anyone?

ShowJumperBeckii

Visit site
Hello,

Just after any experience with hind limb psd and treating with PRP was there any success? If so back into full work or a lighter career?
Also if you don’t mind sharing how much the prp was

Thanks

tda

Visit site
I had a pony in 2018 with " not quite right-is" after work up and xray/scans there was inflammation in the stifle tendons (think that was what it was called)
He had PRP and back to normal work, since gone to good hacking home and has been fine since. I think the actual PRP part of the bills was about £600

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
I didn't have it for PSD but one of mine had PRP about 5 years ago now and hers was roughly £600 then too. I doubt it's increased that much since then as it's a fairly routine procedure.

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
Platelet rich plasma
It's a component of the horses blood that is supposed to improve healing. Only takes a short time, they take blood from the horse, extract the bits they want and then inject it into the injury site.
I was told for millie's injury that it had as good a chance as stem cell but was much more affordable.

RHM

Visit site
My horse had PSD three years ago and I really regret not investigating further. They say that it’s normally a secondary condition to something else going on. I’m now in the position where I am convinced something else is wrong and thinking of stumping up for a bone scan or retiring.
However, that been said he had prp injections and his ligaments have healed really well. He has been in work since the injury and was doing well, but hasn’t really done much other than hacking (3hours at a time), clinics and the odd prelim. He is now lame again following a stint of box rest for a unrelated illness. And considering how well the ligaments seem to look on ultrasound I would consider prp a success. I think I paid around the £600-700 mark.
I would also recommend joining the PSD Facebook group, it’s full of really helpful people who have been through it! Good luck, I know its bloody awful!

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
Friend had it done in a stifle joint earlier this year and the horse is fine.

I dont know what she paid, sorry.

Frumpoon

Visit site
I've had something involving extracting blood, I'm sorry I can't remember if it was prp. It wasn't successful and the horse was put down...he was a lovely soul but had a few other issues and the PSD was pretty advanced by the time it was diagnosed

ShowJumperBeckii

Visit site
Thanks guys, he not insured and have spent a larger sum getting him going aresdy and now the psd Is my main issue, it’s not as expensive as I thought but always that risk of a Another big ecpenise and a still lame horse! X

Sussexbythesea

Visit site
Mine had successful PRP treatment at 19yrs for a sesamoidian ligament injury about 6 years ago. He’s now 24yrs and still sound and being hacked regularly. I can’t recall the cost as it was done at the same time as annular ligament surgery.

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
we did it front end, mostly because she was insured, and there was a lesion albeit apparently not a nice round hole so they weren't sure.
Horse only stood up to hacking since.

Visit site
A lot of racehorses have it done and return to racing. A lot of people rate it, a lot don't. It's one of these things that either works or it doesn't and there's no telling which one you get until you try.

FestiveFuzz

Visit site
We tried it on an acute DDFT tear around 4 years ago now, we saw some improvement in the tear however we were also treating with twice daily laser treatment and followed up with lipogems treatment so it's hard to say whether PRP alone was responsible for the improvement. Sadly we lost the horse a few months later, although our vet feels her issue was congenital so the likelihood is that nothing would have saved her. I believe it cost in the region of £600-£800 (was an insurance claim so don't remember exact figure).

Pinkvboots

Visit site
One of mine had it about 4 years ago for a hole in his hind suspensory along with 5 months box rest, horse was sound hole healed and has been fine ever since his 15 now, I am careful with him though not too much schooling on a surface no fast work on deep ground.

ihatework

Visit site
I think it’s a cost effective thing to try where you have lesions. I wouldn’t waste the money on a desmitis

mustardsmum

Visit site
Our mare had it on a minor check ligament injury in Jan 2019 which we thought was healing but it then it developed a lesion at the second scan so we went for PRP. There is no scar tissue and she is sound and has just returned to almost full work - its taken all year but by having PRP followed by box rest, limited turnout and then gradual return to work, she is sound. Vet is expecting a full recovery :) I would use it again, cheaper than stem cell therapy - think mine was £400. The important bit is restricting turnout to small area and correct fitness training before even thinking about breaking out of a trot or full turn out. We were very cautious and finally had the all clear last week to begin cantering in straight lines for the next twelve weeks, before we gradually introduce jumping in the new year. She has been turned out now for three weeks after being in a small yard then small pens in the field. Been a long road, but I am convinced we would not have got this far without the PRP which ensured the lesion healed. On ultrasound, there is no scarring and the original injury cannot even be seen. So its a yes from me, the vet explained the lesion would have healed eventually but PRP resulted the lesion healing more quickly and the repair is better than if we had just left it to heal without. But the important bit for us was then building the strength up in the ligament. Think patience and time are so important with these injuries. Good luck what ever you decide and if you have PRP hope its successful!