PSD and SI issues- happy update (also in vet)

molly7886

Visit site
I don't post very often so quick synopsis- 14 year old TB gelding, not lame but not 'right' behind, lacking power and jump, not his normal obliging self. Initially found lots of pain/stiffness in SI treated by physio but no significant improvement. I suspected spavins in hocks but much (expensive) diagnostic work later found that he had thickening in one hind suspensory and a lesion in the other with counter rotation of pedal bones. Cue a very depressed owner. In conjunction with fab vet decided against surgery and had a course of shock wave therapy and cartrophen injections teamed with remedial shoeing. Approx 6 weeks of paddock rest, then last couple of months been walking out and long reining in school gradually increasing time spent on board.
Now the update - Went to vets this morning, had a good work up & he's moving so so much better-better flexion in hock, no toe dragging and no soreness at all in SI. Vet re-scanned legs and they show a HUGE improvement (it all looks like an untuned TV screen to me but vet assures me all those white dashes are good ;-) ) So still a way to go and have to continue with the slow progressive fittening/strengthening work but it looks hopeful that hacking/schooling and even some RC events could be back on the agenda next year.
I've seen several posts on here discussing treatment and prognosis so just wanted to offer some hope to anyone struggling with similar injuries. It's taken some time but hopefully it'll be worth it.
I managed to accidentally delete my PM's so if the person who was messaging me to compare notes reads this-sorry I lost you, how's things going with you?

stencilface

High upon a hillside
Visit site
Thats good to hear - mine has very similar PSD - just off really, not lame (until flexioned!). I am up to 30 mins walking this week, with trot being introduced. Of course, he doesn't know we're restricted to walk, and thinks spinning at blown over wheelie bins is much more fun.

I've had a chiro out to see mine, and the vet visit after he said he was much improved over his back at the last visit, mine also has special shoes on. I'm going back to the vets in January, and want to have the chiro again before that just to make him comfortable.

molly7886

Visit site
Hi Sf, glad yours is improving too. Luckily my boy has never read his passport and only has TB 'moments' a couple of times a year and the rest of the time he is very happy to be a plod and ignores most horse eating plastic bags, daleks disquised as wheelie bins etc so I'm lucky! I'm up to 45-60mins walking now but I've been told told by vet to take time down and pace up a little bit now. I'll do a month increasing trot and then introduce some little canters on hacks in the new year (ground conditions permitting!) Did you have shock wave /cartophen too? Interested to know as lots of people have been quoting only 40% success rate but my vet never really considered surgery (he mentioned it but as a last resort measure and I didn't want to go that route unless it was the only option)

barneyhunter

Visit site
Hi

That was me. Unfortunately my story isnt quite so happy. He did box rest, shock wave, accupuncture and catraphen. Then he did 4 weeks way at rehab (at the cost of £2.1k!!!) medicating his back and SI joint, they did 4 weeks treadmill and longreining and then they got back on board the day before coming home. He has since done 8 weeks walking (roads) with his special shoes, stretching exercises and walk schooling (no circles but poles to help build him up).

Vet checked him after 5 weeks and was very happy with his progress and mentally he was coping surprisingly well with walking (considering he is very very spooky to hack, he actually seemed to be enjoying it after a summer of rest). Unfortunately last weekend his behaviour went from spooky to napping, rearing and then napped through a wire fence - at which point I decided there was definately something wrong and got off to lead him home.

Vet came out a couple of days later - SI looks good but hocks and PSD very bad. He was also lame to flexion tests for the first time ever. Due to the severity of his injury origoinally they gave him a very low chance of success but it is now thought that he will probably never be ridden again. He still has his special shoes and would probably be much worse without them.

Not sure what we will do at the moment - just letting it all sink in. The bottom line is that at 9 yrs old I wont let him stand in a field in pain, so not sure. He isnt a companion (an agressive bully with others and 17hds).

Fortunately I like doing all the rehab and walk work, but very dissappointed at this moment.

stencilface

High upon a hillside
Visit site
He's had the shockwave but nothing else, apart from joint supplements and an arnica, rustox and ruta grav spray remedy, magnetic boots and rug - I'll try all and any alternative therapies :)