PSD people- sudden worsening or something else?

scats

Visit site
Polly was diagnosed in 2018. Very mild and only in right hind. Vet surprised that the small amount of damage was causing such violent symptoms under saddle, but after exhausting everything else, it seemed the only probable cause. Vets were not hopeful of a return to anything more than hacking, largely I think due to how extreme her reactions were to such a mild case.
Gave her 10 months off, small paddock rest, eventually increasing field size. To be honest, she wasn’t particularly sensible at all, but I’d sort of resigned myself to the fact that she was now an expensive pet and as long as she was field sound, she could continue to eat away at my wallet for the forseeable.
In April this year she was seen by vet chiro. Remarkable change- completely sound and moving better than ever (vet chiro been on board since pre-PSD diagnosis, so knew the horse well). Decided not to return her to the hospital to rescan as the horse finds it traumatic (so do the vets when Polly is involved!). Slowly introduced long reining in walk and then walking hacks. All fine. Did this super slowly, from April to August- a few times a week, building up. Horse continued to be out in field. Remained sound and fine. Did a little bit of trot work in straight lines and all was good.
September I was busy so she sat on the sidelines for about 6 weeks. Stayed in normal routine but no work.
Two weeks ago I stuck her on the long reins to start again, she was quite keen and went into trot without me asking. I was horrified to see she was absolutely dog lame on the PSD leg. No heat, swelling or anything to suggest anything else. Walking absolutely fine. Buted her for a week, then a week off Bute.
She trotted off down the field this morning, still dog lame, but then I noticed that the lameness started to improve after about 10 strides.
She was never this lame when she was diagnosed, nor has she been since until 2 weeks ago.
Could PSD have worsened this suddenly? I could understand if I had increased her workload and it happened, but she had had 6 weeks off.

Obviously I will have to get her rescanned to find out what’s gone on, but just curious as to whether anyone else has experienced this happen so suddenly.
She was also found to have very mild hock arthritis last year but was no better after the joints were medicated so the vets didn’t actually think this was causing her any issues. Unless this has suddenly worsened in one hock?

Thoughts and experiences appreciated. It’s no problem if she doesn’t return to work, but it’s just so disappointing when things were looking good.

scats

Visit site
I watched her again this morning as she merrily trotted off down the field and I’m actually now convinced the lameness is originating from the SI joint. It does seem to be originating from higher up. She was diagnosed with mild SI dysfunction when she was diagnosed with PSD- likely connected as a lot of cases are.

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
If it is SI related, then I have found that getting the SI joint medicated hugely helped my wonky mare. It was the chiro vet who suggested that she had it, and regular vet agreed. My mare’s SI issues will also have been secondary to her other issues such as bilateral hock arthritis. My mare tolerated the SI medication procedure very well and better than her hock injections which she hates. It wasn’t silly money, either.

Good luck, it can be two steps forward then one step back with these wonky types, can’t it.

scats

Visit site
If it is SI related, then I have found that getting the SI joint medicated hugely helped my wonky mare. It was the chiro vet who suggested that she had it, and regular vet agreed. My mare’s SI issues will also have been secondary to her other issues such as bilateral hock arthritis. My mare tolerated the SI medication procedure very well and better than her hock injections which she hates. It wasn’t silly money, either.

Good luck, it can be two steps forward then one step back with these wonky types, can’t it.

Thanks for your reply. I’ve been in touch with Angela today about it and I’m going to ring my vet in the morning. Unfortunately the hospital were not really willing to medicate her SI joint last time due to her behaviour. Even heavily sedated, they couldn’t even touch her, let along get a needle near her. They just about managed to do the hocks, but weren’t too keen to do them again as she was pretty dangerous.

TGM

Visit site
Given this wet weather I would be suspecting pus in the foot first. There is not necessarily heat in the foot or swelling, and sometimes they are not consistently lame. I'd definitely get the farrier out to investigate first before you panic too much.

scats

Visit site
Given this wet weather I would be suspecting pus in the foot first. There is not necessarily heat in the foot or swelling, and sometimes they are not consistently lame. I'd definitely get the farrier out to investigate first before you panic too much.

Thanks TGM, I didn’t even consider an abscess because she seems totally sound in walk. Will speak to my farrier aswell.

SEL

Visit site
I also wondered abscess.

Interesting about the SI injection. I've been holding off even though new vet is fine to inject because of the laminitis risk over summer. I think I'll get it organised.

One of my old vet practices had a set of what looked like stocks they could put more challenging horses in for joint injections. Never saw it used but could be worth seeing if a practice has some if you get desperate.

Hormonal Filly

Visit site
Its really common for hock arthritis with PSD, wouldn't of expected the arthritis to make her lame like that though.

I was also told by my vet its extremely difficult to heal PSD with turnout and very rare it does heal, not saying it hasn't healed and not to scare you, but if she doesn't have puss in the foot definitely worth getting a rescan as you said. My vet said my geldings PSD would of never healed with turnout (mainly as hes a noob in the field) and only made it worse.

Does your vet not do yard scans? Mine has a portable scanner, very powerful device when mine was diagnosed. Could be worth finding another vet that does portable scans to save stressing her out.

Hope its nothing major. Let us know how you get on scats!

scats

Visit site
Just realised I didn’t udate this. Vet came not last week but the week before. Lame in trot quite significantly, sound in walk. No different after flexion.
Vet agrees that the lameness is pretty significantly different to her normal PSD lameness, so could well be something unconnected, but being it’s the ‘problem leg’, it does seem a bit coincidental. No sign of abscess.
She’s been on inflacam sine and has another 6 days of it, but she’s still just as lame. We are going to scan her at home. Unfortunately nerve blocking is not an option as Polly won’t let a vet touch her, let alone stick needles in her, so we will just scan everything if need be. Horse is no longer insured on that leg unfortunately so I’m preparing myself for an impressive bill, but I’ll do what it takes as although she’s largely a companion and I want her comfortable day to day.

SEL

Visit site
Just realised I didn’t udate this. Vet came not last week but the week before. Lame in trot quite significantly, sound in walk. No different after flexion.
Vet agrees that the lameness is pretty significantly different to her normal PSD lameness, so could well be something unconnected, but being it’s the ‘problem leg’, it does seem a bit coincidental. No sign of abscess.
She’s been on inflacam sine and has another 6 days of it, but she’s still just as lame. We are going to scan her at home. Unfortunately nerve blocking is not an option as Polly won’t let a vet touch her, let alone stick needles in her, so we will just scan everything if need be. Horse is no longer insured on that leg unfortunately so I’m preparing myself for an impressive bill, but I’ll do what it takes as although she’s largely a companion and I want her comfortable day to day.

Mine will kick with intent if a vet approaches her left hind now. Tbh its really their fault - they insisted on flexion tests when she was obviously lame and sore and now she protects herself. She had an acupuncture session last week and I was so surprised that she allowed that vet to not only approach the left hind but stick needles all the way down it. Obviously knew it would help because she dozed off and slobbered on my shoulder while it was being done. I very much doubt we could nerve block her in it now though unless they put her in stocks and I think she'd fight every step of the way.

Sorry to hear this sounds like potentially the suspensory problems coming back. Its so frustrating when you think you've got them sound but then it falls apart. Hopefully the news - or the bill - isn't as bad as you fear.