PSD symptoms anyone???

Visit site
My horse isn't quite right behind, only way to describe it. Was changing back legs in canter, has undergone physio, vet, and chiropractor and whilst improved still not right :(
No longer changing back legs, but resistant to canter, sometimes loses backend on a circle both on the lunge and being ridden. Bucking in canter. Very short bunny hop canter, reluctant to stride out.
Trots up sound, no reaction to flexion tests.
Was given 6 weeks of just hacking before reintroduced school work.
On ulcer friendly diet....
My problem is horse cannot be nerve blocked, hates needles, won't even tolerate it under sedation.
Not sure how best to progress, would psd show up on bonescan.
No heat, swelling, and does not appear lame (issue is with right hind) so vets literally don't know where to start.. Ultrasound or bonescan?
Any suggestions?

SullivanB

Visit site
bunny hop canter is a sign of sacroilliac problems - si and suspensory injury are often linked so probably worth looking into both

BethH

Visit site
Could also be Kissing spines - quite often shows up when they start to lose fitness/muscle so looks like becoming progressively worse - would he tolerate an xray? Quite often they are better some days than others and often they look short striding and tight behind and are bi-laterally lame which is hidden by the short stride. Discomfort in canter can be a sign and also panic at short sharp hills as they have to engage hind quarters to balance which is uncomfortable.

SI issues or hocks can often be a secondary symptom, can he lift his back if you run your fingernails from between his front legs towards the tail or do carrot stretches with his head between his front legs?

Last edited:
Visit site
Everytime physio, chiro treat my horse they say he is very tight in SI area. But both think it is secondary to something else.
My horse hates needles, is fine with the first injection as he doesn't know it is coming, but in the past the vets tried to nerve block, managed to get 2 but by the third one, he lashed out, kicked a vet and that was under sedation. He is very good on the ground, just panics around needles. My vet has said his symptoms could be SI, KS or psd... Or something else. So it's a question of where to start looking, and what diagnosistic tool to use. We have both decided after the last time it isn't practical to nerve block.

LizzieRC1313

Visit site
USS for PSD. My horse has it and can't be nerve blocked either, but not necc unless you have them denerved. Signs were broncking when attempting lateral work and jumping, and then when lunged on one rein. One leg was just not coming underneath him at all in canter but he was diagnosed with it in both. Slightly lame on TU and flexion.

LizzieRC1313

Visit site
What treatment did you go for?

He has been turned out for 3 months and had 2 weeks water treadmill livery. Bringing him into work now with 3 months walk work - long lining and hacking. I wanted to take his shoes off but he's my mums too and she didn't want to so they stayed on. Didn't bother with shockwave etc as its expensive and very little evidence that it helps. I would maybe have used an ARC tho but again mum wasn't keen. Vet out to reassess in a couple of weeks. At the very least he will be a happy hacker, he's sound enough to do laps round his field so nothing stopping doing some very light work. I won't jump him again tho no matter how sound he turns out, we are hoping he will return to prelim/novice dressage but only time will tell if that will happen. Good luck with yours.

Troggy

Visit site
Mine had bilateral PSD behind, we are on rehab work from having the op in January. His symptoms included changing legs behind in canter even out hacking in straight lines, resistance to canter then running, running off after jumps, very poor balance particularly on the lunge and general tension when ridden. Had him bone scanned all over and only found PSD and muscle spasms under saddle, touching wood he seems much happier now back in work but only on week 3 and still just walking, hope that helps

applecart14

Visit site
I think symptoms are digging holes in stables to point toes into, leaning on things with their hind quarters, fetlocks dropping over a period of time. Straight hocked horses are more prone, and horses with poor hoof confirmation, low heels, long toes.

Box rest, Shockwave, Stem cell, PRP and neurectomy are all recognised treatments although the surgical route is often favoured as box rest alone is usually not sufficient treatment.

applecart14

Visit site
Ah yes mine never rested his hind legs either and used to prop himself on wall instead!
I have a photo somewhere of my horse at a show leaning on the lorry parked up next to my trailer! I asked my vet at the time about PSD and he said he could definitely rule it out, especially as he had no other symptoms.

Sometimes its easy for us to see a horse doing a certain action/placement and we automatically reach for the internet and start suspecting all sorts of things. He probably had an itchy bum for all I know.

Troggy

Visit site
I have a photo somewhere of my horse at a show leaning on the lorry parked up next to my trailer! I asked my vet at the time about PSD and he said he could definitely rule it out, especially as he had no other symptoms.

Sometimes its easy for us to see a horse doing a certain action/placement and we automatically reach for the internet and start suspecting all sorts of things. He probably had an itchy bum for all I know.

I thought nothing of it until since his op he now rests his hind legs normally and doesn't use the wall at all