Dressage PSG done!

HufflyPuffly

Visit site
Our goal for this year is to claim our PSG qualification, we did two Advanced tests last year meaning we have until July to do our PSG.

Since last year, I have moved house and moved the horses! So lots of breaks in our training, lots of stress and a new yard with facilities that mean schooling is not quite as much fun as galloping about or exploring the amazing hacking :rolleyes::cool:... Along side this I decided we had to work on the basics more and sort out the strength of the right canter, sort out the submission through our transitions and mostly get that right change consistently clean! All super important but equally very good excuses of putting off doing the actual deed :eek:.

60007362_1021732008012659_4287335534251999232_n.jpg

60667529_1026213837564476_344094337165950976_n.jpg

The horses have finally started to settle from the move and Topaz has been going amazingly in our lessons, between Di Breeze and Dane Rawlins they have left no stone un-turned to find what works for bonkers carriage horses :p. So when an unaffiliated show came up that went up to PSG, it seemed like a perfect opportunity... I still had to be talked into it and enter at the last second :oops:🙈.

"what if we're just not ready"

The little voice of doubt ever ready to keep us in the safe zone of training and not being labelled as failed!

Onto the day in question, I had to work the morning (after being in London the day before, perfect preparation lol), so zero prep, dirty horse and tack 🙈 we arrived just in time to walk, trot and canter before the first test, AM91 to try for our Hickstead Masters qualification! So going pretty much straight in (sorry Topaz 😘), we were not warmed up quite enough and so the main body of work suffered a little, but Topaz was willing and trying hard for a very fair 63% and fourth. However, big however, we did manage to get all but two changes to score 7’s 🙌🏻, huge breakthrough! Not a score that will set anyone on fire but it's always worth reading the sheets and seeing what went well and what needs improvement from the judge, those 7's for our right change made my day :cool:.

Onto the main event for me (most people were there mainly for the semi-final for the Hickstead Masters lol) the PSG 😬, Topaz tried her bloody socks off :cool:. I'd collected my whip as it was hot and doing two hard'ish tests I knew stamina might run out, it certainly had a galvanizing effect lol. Trot work felt really secure and she blasted some extensions out that I’ve no idea where they came from 😂, next time I will be ready to half halt and keep that neck up 😉. We had been working on them in our last lesson and I think the penny might have dropped, but I was so surprised I just didn't slow the tempo and get her uphill, but amazing to feel her go! Canter work, zigzag started well (7 for the first part including that right change!) but I didn’t keep both sides equal so rushed the second half, this might have been me overthinking the first change as it is the dreaded right change, but something I know to fix in future. I then totally cocked the first pirouette line up, slap the rider lol Topaz totally saved my bacon, it's super lucky she is talented for the pirouettes! Second pirouette I kept big as she is green at this level and it was hot and well maybe that's enough excuses 😂. The tempi’s didn’t happen 😂🙈, started thought ooo we’re doing it, and then it all went tits up 🙈, partly me thinking we weren't going to get them (negative visualization works just as effectively as positive visualization!), but also I've not been doing enough sequence changes recently. But we picked ourselves up and carried on to finish!

We not only completed our first PSG but we only went and came second (of three) and managed a very respectable 61.97% 🙌🏻🙌🏻🙌🏻🙌🏻🙌🏻, so unbelievably proud of Topaz 🤩.

61007183_1029139057271954_906588143585591296_n.jpg

Picture by the lovely Kate of Shutter Bugz Photography.

61174604_1029139027271957_5822586918650511360_n.jpg

61036852_1029139007271959_6199802621969039360_n.jpg

Just need to do some tidying up and more sequence changes and we'll be good to do it for real :eek::eek::eek::eek:

sjb10

Visit site
Well done, amazing achievement after such a busy year! Great photos too and lovely to read a report of this type of outing that I won't ever experience.

HufflyPuffly

Visit site
Fantastic, what a huge achievement. Very well done!

Thank you :), super proud!

That;s amazing. Very well done. She looks great in that photo!

Love a good photo :cool:.

Wow well done. She looks amazing and beautifully into the bridle in your ridden pic.

She tried so hard and was really with me, she's so clever!

Congrats..I enjoyed reading your report...you deserve your success.

Ah thank you, don't post so much these days, glad my ramblings made sense :).

Well done, amazing achievement after such a busy year! Great photos too and lovely to read a report of this type of outing that I won't ever experience.

Feel likes it's been 10 years in the space of 12 months, a year to the day that we did our first advanced we attempted the PSG!

That's brilliant - such a huge achievement :D

Also lovely to see a carriage horse rocking dressage!!

Carriage horses are waaaay better than warmbloods dontchaknow :p;):cool:

Well done:D

Thank you :).

Brilliant, well done :)

Not easy

Definitely not easy, think it will take a few more goes before we master it!

Bernster

Visit site
Ah isn't the fab. I can see why you'd get distracted with that lovely hacking but what a fab outing. Super duper well done. She looks very sweet. But I'm concerned that her ears appear to be normal sized in these pictures. Has she bulked up elsewhere so that they appear smaller, or have you been chopping away at them :eek:

HufflyPuffly

Visit site
Ah isn't the fab. I can see why you'd get distracted with that lovely hacking but what a fab outing. Super duper well done. She looks very sweet. But I'm concerned that her ears appear to be normal sized in these pictures. Has she bulked up elsewhere so that they appear smaller, or have you been chopping away at them :eek:

:D I promise her ears are still the same size, must be a flattering angle :p. The hacking is amazing, plus we have a field for canter training and a mini XC course on site, it is not productive to dressage training :p:cool:...

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
Fantastic, you must be so proud 👏👏👏

HufflyPuffly

Visit site
Fantastic, you must be so proud 👏👏👏

Super proud of the bonkers one, she's the definition of 'dark horse' :p.

Amazing, well done 😃

Thank you :cool:.

fabulous, really well done :)

Loads to work on but it's a start!

wow, she is a looker, well done, you will get it right next time

Aww we think she's gorgeous too :), just need a bit more practice!

so pleased for you :) good bonkers carriage horse!

Clever carriage horse! I tell her if pink ponies can do it so can we ;):cool:.

DabDab

Ah mud, splendid
Visit site
Oh my goodness that's amazing!! I'm sure you were only doing mediums with her 5 seconds ago. Fab report and that hacking looks awesome 😍

HufflyPuffly

Visit site
Amazingly well done! You continue to be an inspiration for me and my wonky Spaniard :D

If we can do it, you can! ☺️ Never say never, and never give up.

Another fantastically well done! What an achievement

Still can’t quite believe we’ve done it!

Fantastic! What a super report. Well done! X

Thank you, wasn’t sure if I’d get many replies as I’ve not posted much recently!

Very well done!

She is beautiful - and your hacking looks wonderful.

The hacking is crazy good, Wales is AMAZING 🤩.

Wow , well done that’s a fantastic achievement

Thank you, who’d have thought it from a bonkers cart horse!

Oh my goodness that's amazing!! I'm sure you were only doing mediums with her 5 seconds ago. Fab report and that hacking looks awesome 😍

Haha I know, I still think I should still be at medium too 😂, this is the Di Breeze effect 😉.

Totally brilliant well done both of you.

Thank you ☺️, the picture has made it to my picture wall already!

HufflyPuffly

Visit site
Wow on hacking and result. Love seeing 'normal' horses doing well in dressage like you and Milliepops. Gives us all hope!

MP is definitely an inspiration! I tell Topaz to be more Kira a lot lol, but yes I think any horse can do dressage with the right training.

How far they go might differ but I really think most 'could' get to Adavanced/PSG as the lateral work can be trained and once you've mastered changes (or not in my case lol), then sequence changes can be taught.