PSSM - what is it?

Evie91

Visit site
Keep reading threads/comments on here relating to PSSM. Googled it and still not sure what it's all about, anyone care to enlighten me?
It's only something I've read about on here, never heard of it in real life (mine!), have lots of horsey friends and acquaintances and it's never come up, can't remember seeing an article in H&H. Seems a bit like atypical myopathy - unheard of, until relativity recently (first remember hearing of that in 2012)- is it new or am I just ignorant?!

FfionWinnie

Visit site
No it's not new. The gene has been around forever and would have been helpful in times of starvation. However in terms of being a working horse it's not helpful. Suggest you google again if you are interested in it as there is plenty of info. Essentially it's a storage disorder where by the horse stores glycogen in the muscles instead of burning it up like a normal horse would. It causes the horse to have muscle pain, wastage, tie up (not necessarily all at once or all noticeable) and essentially poor or limited performance.

Evie91

Visit site
Thanks for the reply. Ive googled a few times but can only seem to find links to USA studies/info. Will try again and see what comes up.
Always interested in expanding my equine knowledge, interesting subject as (fortunately) has never come up and just not something I'm aware of. Probably not making myself clear; fortunately I've never seen horses with west Nile, grass sickness, atypical myopathy etc but am aware of these, PSSM just seems to have passed me by, in literature and in life, just read about it on here.

DabDab

Ah mud, splendid
Visit site
As above.
It is something that is more recognised these days, but not something that people would necessarily mention, because it affects/influences the all round management and performance, you wouldn't necessarily hear someone bring it up with regards to a specific topic of conversation. I think possibly one friend of mine knows my horse has it. It's better recognised and studied in the US than here, but if you look at stallion details for certain breeds you will note the phrase 'tested PSSM1 negative' (e.g. Appaloosa and Quarter Horse), as the breed societies are being proactive about trying to reduce the amount of affected individuals in the gene pool

paddy555

Visit site
Thanks for the reply. Ive googled a few times but can only seem to find links to USA studies/info. Will try again and see what comes up.
Always interested in expanding my equine knowledge, interesting subject as (fortunately) has never come up and just not something I'm aware of. Probably not making myself clear; fortunately I've never seen horses with west Nile, grass sickness, atypical myopathy etc but am aware of these, PSSM just seems to have passed me by, in literature and in life, just read about it on here.

https://cvm.msu.edu/research/facult...ratory/type-1-polysaccharide-storage-myopathy

this will tell you about PSSM 1, PSSM 2 and season pastural myopathy (AM) Most of the info is from the US as many vets in the UK have little or no knowledge of it. Unfortunately many horse owners in the UK have first hand experience!! I am sure you will have seen horses with PSSM just not realised what the symptoms pointed to. It can affect all breeds not just quarter horses and appys.

SEL

Visit site
As FW says above - you become a subject matter expert once it affects you. I'm pretty sure most people on my yard are oblivious that both my horses have it - they think my obsession with grass is due to waistline issues.

Lots of the big feed companies have articles on it (Baileys, Saracen etc) and a huge amount comes up on google if you want to immerse yourself.

DabDab

Ah mud, splendid
Visit site
It can affect all breeds not just quarter horses and appys.

Sorry, didn't mean to suggest it was just in those breeds, I was just giving examples of breed societies who take it seriously. It would be great if some of the warmblood stud books would take any kind of interest.